frictional resistance within a cold water pipework system is influenced most by what? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss frictional resistance within a cold water pipework system is influenced most by what? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

D

dubberz25

what is frictional resistance within a cold water pipework system influenced most by the:

a: pipework material
b: pipework diameter
c: Number of elbows in the pipework
d:Number of bends in the pipework

Please advice me as i need advice on this subject - thanks in advance.

Re: frictional resistance within a cold water pipework system is influenced most by w

Elbows, eg 15mm on elbow = 0.9m if memory is deserting me...:)

Re: frictional resistance within a cold water pipework system is influenced most by w

The pipe diameter has by far the most influence on total flow resistance -- the smaller the higher the resistance.

Pipe material should not make much difference, because at most flow rates there is a static film of water adhering to the inner pipe surfaces. So the friction is caused by faster-flowing water layers rubbing against slower-flowing water layers, rather than water rubbing against the pipework surfaces.

Bends and elbows add to the resistance, with 'slow' bends (i.e. larger bend radius) having less effect than tight 'knuckle' elbows.

Looks like an exam question. I would answer c.

they all afect resistance, but yes the bottom line is increase pipe size! look in bs6700 or JTL's level 3 plumbing book, the calcs in there

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Lou. No change. I have not been able to get...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks very much for all the advice John, it's...
Replies
Views
You could go smaller if you go pdhw eg 180l...
Replies
Views
Back