From plumber to pipefitter | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss From plumber to pipefitter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarcoPolo

I am a qualified plumber right now ( NVQ level 2 ) and have mostly done commerical plumbing but I am looking for a career change. I want to be a pipefitter so I can work offshore, obviously as a pipefitter. I am wondering if I have to do a full 2 or 3 year training course to become qualified as a pipefitter or whether there is a quicker option available since I already have knowledge of plumbing. I know the two trades are different but there are some similarities.

Has anyone on here trained as a plumber but gone on to do pipefitting? Does anyone know what the different training options are? I'm not even sure if I you can do pipefitting in college unless you're an apprentice, which I'm too old for anyway (I'm 33). Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get your F - gas lots easier and more money offshore

Thanks for your reply, and yes I am going after money, it's half the reason I want to work offshore ( that and the 2 on 2 off ). So what's this F - gas and what job does it lead to offshore? I only have my Plumbing NVQ level 2 at the moment and no gas qualifications. Cheers.

Why offshore?

Getting subbing to a dockyard usual £20 per hour with as many hours as you want and you'd be lucky to work 10 hours of that a week.

If you already have extensive knowledge of plumbing I wouldn't waste your time going through an apprenticeship program. There are plenty colleges out there that offer pipefitting classes (and don't require apprenticeships). Or you could just buy some pipefitting books and study up on your own. A lot of companies just require you to take a pipefitting test for them, and if you pass they'll put you to work as a pipefitter. Pipefitter Nation is a good resource for anyone looking for information on the pipefitting industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
Apparently there is a management learning...
Replies
Views
Hi there, looking to gain experience as a...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
Back