Frozen condensate pipes.... HOw many have you had recently? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Frozen condensate pipes.... HOw many have you had recently? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanalyst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So with the recent arctic like weather, we've had a heap loads of frozen condensate pipes...

Making me realise how inadequately a lot of them have been routed on initial install and making me think twice about routing them myself bearing in mind I dont want them to freeze in the future...

How many have you had and whats your answer to preventing them from freezing?

I always try and route them internally if the option exists, but if not, Ive had quite a few where the gutters have filled with snow and ice, and the condensate, which was routed into the gutter also got backed up -> then froze up...

The only other alternative I could think of was a dedicated soakaway with vertical fall on the pipe to prevent freezing where another drain is not available?

We do refrigeration work on cold rooms and strap self regulating heat tape to the drain pipe connected to the drain pan of the evaporators which produces water during defrost but at -19 or so it would obviously freeze. this work very well but I don`t suppose this would be safe on a domestic instalation running down the side of the house. Would be ok at high level though and could be controlled with a frost stat. Just a thought:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
3 realistic choices but let's look at why...
Replies
Views
Welder
W
Many thanks for your detailed reply
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Back