Frozen jammed fire valve to boiler - no heating or hot water | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Frozen jammed fire valve to boiler - no heating or hot water in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amandajayne

Hi everyone.
Can any one suggest how one might 'unblock' a jammed fire valve.?
The valve is on the outside wall of a house in the Highlands ,its been minus 10 for a week ,its now warm ! at only minus 2.the valve is not allowing oil to flow into the house ..........would hot water from a kettle help ?or make the situation worse by closing the valve further/tighter.?...Is it possible to reset or push open the valve rod(the knurled knob on top has snapped due to the cold)..please help ...we are running out of logs.

to reopen the fire valve, pull the lever on top. if the knob has broken - you will need to use pliers.

Daft question, how do you know that the valve is not allowing oil through?

Also, identify what has triggered the fire valve (if it is so) as this is a safety device!

Oh and kero becomes much more viscous at -10 too.....

What make is the fire valve? at -10 there will be moisture in the oil and it will have frozen do not put hot water on it will only make it worse, if the knob has broken off you will need to replace it and depending what make it is! if it is a Teddington KBB the knob must be underneath. get your hair dryer and warm it, also fire valves should not be open to the elements ,it should be protected. ALSO the rest of the oil line could also have moisture it.

Last edited by a moderator:
rtps, just for my curiosity, regs state fire valve to be installed before oil line enters property (every diagram ive ever seen shows it externally ) how in that case do you protect it from the elements? ive never heard that point of view before, and if there is a way to help it live a little longer, i wish to know !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
D
Have you checked your hot water schedule? It...
Replies
Views
peter challinor
P
That sounds like a good plan, I'll give that a...
Replies
Views
S
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I got...
Replies
Views
Sam Wain
S
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Back