Fungus/growth floating on top of feed & expansion tank? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fungus/growth floating on top of feed & expansion tank? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

I’ve recently cleaned my central heating system with Sentinel X400 cleaner, flushed it out clear, refilled & added Sentinel X100 inhibitor.

After a couple of months, I went to the loft to check the feed & expansion tank, open the lid, there’s some kind of white/yellowish fungus/growth floating on top of the water?

How to get rid of it without having to completely drain the system out, flush it out again?

Is there any stuff you can buy to add into the system to get rid of it?

One of the side-effects of running CH systems at low flow temperatures (to promote efficiency) is that biofilms form in the header tank.

To avoid drawing muck down into the system, I would plug the outlet then empty the tank with a pump or siphon and use some diluted bleach to clean. The biofilm etc. is potentially hazardous to health so use gloves, googles and mask.

Whether it's necessary to drain the whole system is debatable. I probably wouldn't bother if this is a first attempt to deal with the problem.

I use Fernox F7 for prevention. Sentinel will have something equivalent if you want to stick to one brand, which is probably a good idea. Depending on the age of the system and boiler, I'd also consider sealing the system and getting rid of the F/E tank.

One of the side-effects of running CH systems at low flow temperatures (to promote efficiency) is that biofilms form in the header tank.

To avoid drawing muck down into the system, I would plug the outlet then empty the tank with a pump or siphon and use some diluted bleach to clean. The biofilm etc. is potentially hazardous to health so use gloves, googles and mask.

Whether it's necessary to drain the whole system is debatable. I probably wouldn't bother if this is a first attempt to deal with the problem.

I use Fernox F7 for prevention. Sentinel will have something equivalent if you want to stick to one brand, which is probably a good idea. Depending on the age of the system and boiler, I'd also consider sealing the system and getting rid of the F/E tank.
Sentinel X700 biocide is very expensive, I’m considering using Everbuild P26 biocide as it’s more affordable?

I presume using a different brand of central heating system biocide should be ok, better than nothing?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Hi if you have a expansion pipe if must...
Replies
Views
M
  • Question
I have to put water into the expansion tank...
Replies
Views
Philip Duff
P
  • Question
To be fair, it depends on how the bathrooms...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Update: I put up with the kettling noise for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
3 port could be on its way out?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back