Gaining Experience | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gaining Experience in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

33ching

Hi there,
I am in the process of enrolling with a company called Trade Qualified. Their course allows me to carry on with my full time job (nightshift) and train at the same time. I have been in contact with a few local plumbers asking them if I could work as a mate during my training period on my rest days and one of them (family friend) has offered me casual work as a mate. Would this be any benefit to me as I don't want to start picking up bad habits or cutting corners (tricks of the trade) before I have qualified.
I suppose it is a bit like learning to drive, they recommend you train via a driving school and not a family member but I suppose any experience you get is better than none at all.

Any thoughts on this would be very welcomed

Hi 33Ching,
I would personally take him up as Pumbers mate, I'm sure you will gain alot more experience watching/helping him which will most likely be useful for when you do get into Trade Qualified. I suggest buying some books also :)

Thanks Plumber++. I will update this thread and let you know how I am getting on.

yeah definatly take his offer, you will learn far more working along side a plumber than going on these courses as they are only very basic and are only a classroom setting which is very different to a real life setting, you learn more on the job than you do on courses.
If you only done a course with no experience you would be no where near to being a plumber plus no one would employ you without any on job experience.

Got a call yesterday from another plumber and he is going to let me help out and work along side him so that is 2 plumbers I have lined up. I am hoping my home study books come this week so I can get started and hopefully get to the centre for my 1st week before easter.

Did not quite manage to get booked in before Easter. The earliest I can attend due to my full time job and other commitments is the end of August so I suppose I will just have to keep reading & learning and carry on working as a mate on my rest days. Will keep you all posted when I have done my first week as I have not found any other threads on this site about Trade Qualified.

33ching, your doing it right mate, and the best of british to you. study your books when they come, so you gain some qualifications that will get you your job interviews.
if your c.v. states plumbers mate 4 years, you will go to the top of list,
keep your bosses happy, dont let them down, learn first how they like their brews. keep them supplied with brews then they wont mind so much when you keep asking "why"

good luck
shaun

Hi migoplumber,
thanks for your words of encouragement. It is nice to see that on here as a few of the threads have been quite negative regarding fast track courses. Believe it or not but both plumbers are making my brews so I must be doing something right, either that or they think I don't have time to be making brews and need to spend the time soldering pipes.

Any way thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yeah that would be a good start lol, totally...
Replies
Views
I'm looking in Leicster and lincoln area for...
Replies
Views
B
I'm looking for someone to work with me on a...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon, My name is Jordan and I am a...
Replies
Views
Back