Galvanic corrosion | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Galvanic corrosion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren bastin

Gas Engineer
Wondered if anybody could offer some advice. I have to join onto some steel central heating pipes, i was planning to to do this with standard brass threaded fittings and then off I go on copper pipes. It has been pointed out to me that this will cause problems with corrosion in the future. I dont like using plastic if i can avoid it, i assume the corrosion occurs at the fitting and not on the pipe itself ? Are there any alternatives ? What measures could I employ

if the steel does not touch the copper then you should be fine.

I would use a male inch to 22mm soldered fitting to connect directly into a steel inch t. Would the brass fitting not corrode ? Should I use a plastic fitting to seperate the metals?

if the steel does not touch the copper then you should be fine.

the whole problem with corrosion by dissimilar metals is that the corrosion occurs through electrolytic action and the higher up the galvanic scale a metal is the easier it will corrode, hence why brass d bronze etc corrodes where steel is present, and there's no better place for this to be seen than ships propellers rotting in sea water where because of the additional salt the reaction works quicker. Hence ships and some water vessels have sacrificial anodes that corrode getter than the bronze props which are then protected. Same in a heating system where it would be best to have no dissimilar metals but all of one metal, impractical, so keeping impurities (flux) out of the heating water and use of inhibitors will prolong the life of the system, but physics will always win in the end and corrosion will win!

the whole problem with corrosion by dissimilar metals is that the corrosion occurs through electrolytic action and the higher up the galvanic scale a metal is the easier it will corrode, hence why brass d bronze etc corrodes where steel is present, and there's no better place for this to be seen than ships propellers rotting in sea water where because of the additional salt the reaction works quicker. Hence ships and some water vessels have sacrificial anodes that corrode getter than the bronze props which are then protected. Same in a heating system where it would be best to have no dissimilar metals but all of one metal, impractical, so keeping impurities (flux) out of the heating water and use of inhibitors will prolong the life of the system, but physics will always win in the end and corrosion will win!

wiki is very helpful :)

if all parts in a heating system were made of plastics, then there would be no problem

quality brass is better to use than copper as the gap on the "thingy" scale is less, if the system water is clean/fresh then its normally a weak electrolite (spelling?) so you will not have a problem.

think about it, normal heating system is a mix of copper pipes, brass fittings and steel/iron rads and boiler parts.

If I thought anyone was using wicki then I'd stop using this forum, Im only giving you my knowledge and experience, hopefully that might count for something

whats wrong with wiki?? use it all the time thats why i commented as they use boats/sea etc in its examples about corrosion, sacrificial anode and the like.

Last edited:
whats wrong with wiki?? use it all the time thats why i commented as they use boats/sea etc in its examples about corrosion, sacrificial anode and the like.
a lot of wicki is wrong and misguided omho, I only "used boats etc" as I work on one as a mechanic part time and know a bit about it,

Elecrolytic corrosion will occur whenever dissimilar metals are
connected in the presence of water. It is best to bridge between the metals with a neutral substance such as plastic or
A metal higher up the electromotive series table than the other two. Inhibit will help. This is why sacrificial anodes are used in plumbing systems
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of wicki is wrong and misguided omho, I only "used boats etc" as I work on one as a mechanic part time and know a bit about it,

most of its written by more intelligent people than myself. If you come across misguided or wrong information you should correct it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Only way to find out as above mcalpine make...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Back