Garden Tap fittings query | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Garden Tap fittings query in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Hi - I'm a DIYer, successfully fitted an external garden tap, supply sourced from downstairs loo, standard 13 mil copper pipework, in-line cut-off.
WEATHER PROBLEM - its works fine for years EXCEPT twice now I've had split pipe due to freezing (at -8C ) despite foam protection.
My thinking - replace the external copper pipe run with garden hose. ( Even if it did split, easier & cost effective to replace hose rather than repair pipe ).
Looked, can't find them - Are there inline connectors/adapters, one side to copper pipe (solder or olive) with hose fitting serrated tube out ?
(Similar to standard tap/hose fitting, except its needed to fit to supply pipe, not tap).

I never bother trying to frost-proof outside taps. What I do is make sure the pipework can be drained (ideally through the tap itself) and in cold weather I advise customers to open the outside tap and then use the isolator inside the building to shut the flow to the outside. Since the outside pipework is empty, there is nothing to freeze.

If you have to go up to the tap outside, you may need a draw-off cock or similar to allow the pipe to drain fully. Obviously that is extra hassle and not the best way, but sometimes needs must.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I've seen enough bad work done by those who...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I fit them as standard. No brainer really.
Replies
Views
what pump is he fitting on the mains?
Replies
Views
From the photo, it looks like 3/8" BSP nut...
Replies
Views
This is correct, the only time you can fit a...
Replies
Views
Back