Gas Boiler broken, please help | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas Boiler broken, please help in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our boiler stopped working a few days ago so we got a few engineers out to price a new one , the first one said to upgrade to a Combi boiler as we have a system that’s about 23 years old and said it would be no bother to set it all up. The second guy we mentioned for pricing a combi just on the basis that it would be better than just getting a like for like system but he said the radiators would not handle it so it would not be possible without putting whole new system in ? Only reason I am now wary is my gran feels she was told something similar several years ago so I thought I should check with a forum.... I will attach a picture but does that sound right? If you need any more info just ask

rt0274.jpg

I would not put a combi on that system , it's a like for like swap or rip out and a new full install if funds allow . Kop

Yeah, would always recommend new rads and pipework on a system that old. However people do fit combis onto existing old systems.

Just done the same thing myself, but fitted the pipework and radiators myself. All the reading i did said its not ideal, from the system leaking due to the higher pressure but mostly that old system were designed around a much higher flow temperature, not to mention the lack of convectors.
Most of my rooms required radiators much larger to cope with a lower flow. I did all my calculations based an a flow of around 40-50c. The old boiler used to flow at 80c.

Our boiler stopped working a few days ago so we got a few engineers out to price a new one , the first one said to upgrade to a Combi boiler as we have a system that’s about 23 years old and said it would be no bother to set it all up. The second guy we mentioned for pricing a combi just on the basis that it would be better than just getting a like for like system but he said the radiators would not handle it so it would not be possible without putting whole new system in ? Only reason I am now wary is my gran feels she was told something similar several years ago so I thought I should check with a forum.. I will attach a picture but does that sound right? If you need any more info just ask

rt0274.jpg

I stopped heating work 5 years ago. But until then I fitted MANY conversions to combis. My contract placed the responsibility for bursts on the client. I had TWO problems, over 10 years apart. The first was a rad started squirting mid panel, while I was there and about to leave, the second was my very last heating job before going ion the books. Two rads gave up the ghost. So there is always a possibility, but if a rad pops, it is dodgy anyway, and my go sooner rather than later. The danger is massively overstated.
IMO.

Is a combi actually the right choice for you? How many bathrooms / people?

Our boiler stopped working a few days ago so we got a few engineers out to price a new one , the first one said to upgrade to a Combi boiler as we have a system that’s about 23 years old and said it would be no bother to set it all up. The second guy we mentioned for pricing a combi just on the basis that it would be better than just getting a like for like system but he said the radiators would not handle it so it would not be possible without putting whole new system in ? Only reason I am now wary is my gran feels she was told something similar several years ago so I thought I should check with a forum.. I will attach a picture but does that sound right? If you need any more info just ask

rt0274.jpg
I think you should deffo change to a combi and get whole system changed

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for combi. Cheaper and easier to fit like for like. Just add magnetite filter.

If he changes the boiler and gets a decent engineer to fit it. The boiler will have a decent warranty and no need for breakdown cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Don’t know if this is the right part but...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Back