Gas boiler help/advice needed | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas boiler help/advice needed in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Threepwood

Hi,

I presently have a floor standing 'Mexico' gas boiler. Runs the Hot water and Heating. It's over 42 years old. (as is all the pipework) Have decided to get a new kitchen and intend to replace the boiler with a wall mounted Combi at the other end of the kitchen which will vent out into the garden. There are two gas points in the wall at that end of the kitchen, but I was also happy for a gas pipe to be run behind the new kitchen units from the existing point.

First quote was from British Gas who said they were not allowed. citing 'regulations'. to use any of the existing gas points but would have to run a complete new gas pipe from the gas meter to the kitchen. This will involve going through several walls, around a door frame and across two bedrooms.

My first question is Is This Right? Are such regulations now in place?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is allowed to come off existing gas points but they are probably too small 15mm to be used for the new boiler. It will need a minimum of 22mm pipework

Don't get bg to fit it. Get a local recommended gsr or someone off here to do it.
you will save money.
they have a lot of sub contractors that they use, so more than likely another company will fit it anyway.

they probably said that because it could be steel in the wall and cant garentee its in good nick or possibly the size.

Agreed. Kick BG into touch.

But you will, more than likely, need a new gas line. Your new boiler will require a larger volume of gas to operate correctly than boilers did years ago when Monkey Island was first released.

at a guess, you will require a new gas supply from the meter to the boiler.

Agreed. Kick BG into touch.

But you will, more than likely, need a new gas line. Your new boiler will require a larger volume of gas to operate correctly than boilers did years ago when Monkey Island was first released.

Monkey Island was a brilliant computer game!

...... when Monkey Island was first released.

ah, spotted that did you? Drat.

Thanks guys, I'll get another local fitter / installer in to quote and see what he has to say or suggest. TBH I went to BG first so that I would have pretty much the top price quote to compare others with.

Guybrush

They will be phoning you everyday now.

I hear a phone ringing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
If this is your model, some of your questions...
Replies
Views
Back