Gas Boiler Losing Pressure Increasingly Often | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas Boiler Losing Pressure Increasingly Often in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all, I have a student house where over the last 12 months the boiler (Vokera) has been losing pressure more and more often. A plumber has said it might be the heat exchanger but he would need the boiler to go cold to check, which is tricky with 6 students coming and going. It strikes me that if the water was leaking there and evaporating from inside the cabinet, it might be obvious as the boiler is in a tiny understairs cupboard?
We thought we might have uncovered the problem when taking a stud wall down revealed a nail through a rad pipe but still problem persists.
Have treated system with pipe sealant but still problem persists. I'm dreading it being a leak under the ground floor, but the drop in pressure seems random but it is definitely getting worse bit by bit. Thoughts welcome, thanks.

Hi another reason why systems lose pressure is corrosion.
there are steel radiators and copper pipes and brass valves each element if refer back to the periodic table has a different configuration of electrons so voltages occur inside the heating system between metals. This electrical imbalance drags metal from the iron in the radiators to form iron oxide using the oxygen of the circulating water (H2O) releasing the gas hydrogen ( referred to as "air" in the radiators. The gas can be compressed so allowing a reduction in pressure. As the corrosion continues the pressure continues to fall. First shot get a can of Fernox injectable and add it to your filing loop. Fernox bridges the corrosive borders and thus reduces corrosion. You may also have noticed you have to keep bleeding the radiators.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Forgive my ignorance but would the pipe sealant (don't know what the brand was or exact product) that has been used do the same job as the Fernox?

Similar plumbing topics

the op says no water in prv balloon so not prv...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
P
Doesn't matter, mod will remove or close it.
Replies
Views
thank you, good tip, I will try
Replies
Views
Back