Gas fire/asbestos | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas fire/asbestos in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Came across this fire today with the fire back all broken. Does anyone know what this stuff wad made of? Hoping it wasn't chrysotile.
fireplace was being removed. The fire was surrounded directly by a wooden frame built around it.

Fire "insulation", and wooden surround.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426975769636.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426975769636.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 28
  • uploadfromtaptalk1426975803675.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426975803675.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 24
Normally soft ceramic, The fire looks like a Magiglow or a Strax, both of whom is now owned by Burley Fires, Oakham Rutland

Normally soft ceramic, The fire looks like a Magiglow or a Strax, both of whom is now owned by Burley Fires, Oakham Rutland

It is a magiglow. Don't know about soft ceramic, this stuff broke up really easy. Read up on it a bit, pre-70's fires could contain the white asbestos chrysotile but don't know if these did.

if un easy I allways put a good quality mask on (I know its not a proper assy mask but it allows me to sleep better) and I remove it as carefully as possible with a lot of water sprayed on to keep dust as low as possible then double bag and tape up then take it to my local skip firm and pay them to dispose of it as needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
Yes, all that was in place. Just had no idea...
Replies
Views
Yes from me also. Sorry to say. Have you got a...
Replies
Views
He is registered for work on gas fires. After...
Replies
Views
Back