Gas fire ventilation | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas fire ventilation in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pszemek2

Hi All.

hope someone will be able to help. I have a gas fire coals and i need to calculate ventilation for it.

any advise appreciated
thanks

img0339fa.jpg img0338ee.jpg

it is not home made. it is verry old. coals removed, they will get new.

if you have the info to get new coals why not the info for ventilation - you need the manufacturers info to position the coals

LOOKING AT THAT PICTURE AND THE INVISABLE DATA BADGE and deducting 7 kw x5 i make your ventilation requirement to be 75,00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 cm2
so best bet would be to remove your house and position it east bound to let the draft in:smilielol5:

the gas regulations require a appliance to be installed to the manufacturers instructions, if they are not present and can not be obtained then you can not fit the fire. Your gas safe engineer should have explained this to you??

LOOKING AT THAT PICTURE AND THE INVISABLE DATA BADGE and deducting 7 kw x5 i make your ventilation requirement to be 75,00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 cm2
so best bet would be to remove your house and position it east bound to let the draft in:smilielol5:

This is a DFE, in the absence of instructions, Refer to BS5871 part 3, which states 100cm2. Get a GSR man in to check this one out it looks like its one that should be dumped.

Last edited:
May be we should elaborate why it should be dumped. For starters, it has no flame supervision device, it has no ignition device, it is zero efficient. I think that we should be well past the days of turning on the gas and chucking a match at the fire to light it. If you have no data badge and no manufacturer instructions you can not legally fit it anyway.

I reckon there's zero chance of a GSR installer getting anywhere near this. It just screams DIY to me.

Even if it was in working order etc it would be cheaper to burn tenners to keep warm.

don't let the corrosion put you off, just give it a lick of black paint and stand in the corner flipping a coin with a matchstick in your mouth

as already stated, it is illegal to fit a gas appliance without the manufacturers installation instructions available.
The heat lost from this type of appliance would be about 80 percent up the chimney.
the size of permanent ventilation required would mean the room would be cold when the fire was not in use, if the fire was used it would then be drawing in more air through the vent,
it is a visual thing only that would have a negative affect on the room.
I think the best advice if you want to keep it is remove the gubbings, clean it up, black lead it, fit a couple of nice candles to provide the visual effect.
if the room is not sufficiently heated, look at improving the radiators or get an electric blow heater, but don't mistake what you have as a heat source.

Quote>visual thing only

Hence the term Decorative in DFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You could try greasing the spindle of the gas...
Replies
Views
Partly insurance but mainly because 'you' are...
Replies
Views
C
do not use the fire, needs dismantling and...
Replies
Views
I have a portable gas fire which keeps...
Replies
Views
Still being called spammy by the forum filters...
Replies
Views
Back