gas flue box | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss gas flue box in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did a service on a gas fire,it had a closure plate and a flue box was used,my query is, 1, does the double walled chimney(liner)need to be accessible in it's entirety,like flues in voids, 2,the gas connection to the fire is outside the flue box(at front)is this allowed.. 3, would you expect black soot, scorch marks inside at top of flue box and on closure plate installed 4 years ago,never serviced

if the liner is ran inside an existing chimney then no it doe,s not need to be accessible in its entirety.smoke bomb catchment area and check for proper terminal.the liner should go through a plate or have relevent wool to make sure all flue gases go up through the liner.the fire flue spigot should go through the closure plate by at least 25mm see manufactures instructions.i,d expect scorch marks and soot on the inside of cachment space and the back of the closure plate.finally check your ventillation and carry out a spillage test.

if the liner is ran inside an existing chimney then no it doe,s not need to be accessible in its entirety.smoke bomb catchment area and check for proper terminal.the liner should go through a plate or have relevent wool to make sure all flue gases go up through the liner.the fire flue spigot should go through the closure plate by at least 25mm see manufactures instructions.i,d expect scorch marks and soot on the inside of cachment space and the back of the closure plate.finally check your ventillation and carry out a spillage test.
no brick chimney in property,semi detached and flue all internal does it need to be accessible as if that is the case ,what you suppose to do wreck the punters home,or will the flue be incased when the property was built ????

regs say,smoke bomb and check each floor for leaks of smoke.check loft area.and as long as it passes a spillage test you,ll be ok

if a flue liners connected direct to the flue box joints are not required to be accessible,if however twin walled pipe (like selkirk IL ) etc has been used these joints must be accessible for inspection purposes

if a flue liners connected direct to the flue box joints are not required to be accessible,if however twin walled pipe (like selkirk IL ) etc has been used these joints must be accessible for inspection purposes
but how you mean't to get to twin walled/liner etc when flue box is built in entirely,even just to check,

but how you mean't to get to twin walled/liner etc when flue box is built in entirely,even just to check,
i dont know? but we have all seen twin wall leak,and similarly the joint at the top of the flue box we all use fire cement that will fail in time the rules sometimes are useless

Last edited by a moderator:
had a open flue glowworm in a basement and it had cement asbestose single wall pipe clipped up the wall and boxed in - i phoned gas safe and they said there is no need for inspection hatches as its a open flue not sealed like a boiler and the same does not apply for hatches.just smoke pellet to check

ant

I have seen a few of his posts that were very unhelpful and not always correct.

This is an interesting subject actually, having just had a look at my in-laws boiler. It's an Ideal Mexico Super 2 floorstanding boiler, with the flue going up through a void. Wasn't sure what the resolution would be other than to replace the boiler, but if it's open flued and doesn't need to be inspected then that's ok. Passed flue flow and the terminal is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Let them supply and fit , then it’s their...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Yes, all that was in place. Just had no idea...
Replies
Views
Was thinking of just ringing round any ladder...
Replies
Views
Back