Gas hob connection | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas hob connection in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,
how much do you normally charge to install rigid piping from bayonet fitting to hob?

The hob is already installed in place
Also, where should the isolation valve be located as I'm sure it probably needs to be somewhere easily accessible behind the base unit doors and not be behind the oven?

What kind of connection is attached to the hob? is it just a Simple solder job to 15mm pipe? (I've not installed a hob yet) [emoji5]

Anyone else get text messages from customers at 11.20pm on a Saturday night asking for a quote to work in Sunday? [emoji35]

Night call to quote for work? I will not even answer the phone.
Back to your question, if it's a bayonet fitting, why do you need rigid piping to hob? As for isolation valve, the bayonet fitting serves as an isolation valve.
If I understand now, it's a hob you want to connect, not a free standing cooker. In that case, you have to remove bayonet fitting and repipe in rigid copper. Isolation valve as close to appliance as reasonably possible and accessible too. As for price, you have to decide what your hourly prices are to be then charge accordingly.
I will fit valve behind oven if pipe exits that way. If pipe route is through adjacent cupboard, then I will fit there.

Last edited:
You can't fit hobs from a bayonet fitting,it has to be rigid pipework, doesn't it?

Hi all,
how much do you normally charge to install rigid piping from bayonet fitting to hob?

The hob is already installed in place
Also, where should the isolation valve be located as I'm sure it probably needs to be somewhere easily accessible behind the base unit doors and not be behind the oven?

What kind of connection is attached to the hob? is it just a Simple solder job to 15mm pipe? (I've not installed a hob yet) [emoji5]

Anyone else get text messages from customers at 11.20pm on a Saturday night asking for a quote to work in Sunday? [emoji35]

Connection is usually 1/2", I would normally use 1/2" female iron to 15mm compression and then try and get isolating valve in adjacent cupboard if possible, it isn't always possible though.

You can't fit hobs from a bayonet fitting,it has to be rigid pipework, doesn't it?

If you read the MI's some actually say you can use a flexi connection although I always pipe rigid

If you read the MI's some actually say you can use a flexi connection although I always pipe rigid

Ive never come across one, which is why I questioned, mostly fit Bosch hobs which are hard piped.

Most are rigid pipework , unless stated in the MIs ,

If MI'S not available I'd stick to rigid to be honest .

if the hobs over an oven then a cooker hose is normally a non starter due to temps anyway, it also needs to fitted with no chance of damage or strain which is quite hard considering what get thrown into cupboards.

as for the orignal questions, fit the iso in ajoining cupboard if possible, but it can go behind the cooker in ones underneath. remove the bayonet/ wallplate and just pipeup and clip as normal pipework is done.

use a 1/2 female or one of these hob fittings

Compression Pipe Fittings | Special Brass Fittings for Connecting Gas Hobs

if there is no cooker under the hob then most manufacturers will ask for a board with an air gap fitted under the hob.

follow instruction and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yeah sorry, crappy powerpoint skills rather...
Replies
Views
Basically he doesn't know what he's doing. Ask...
Replies
Views
U
Get a gsr in and trust his word and his...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
I've heard this before about some of these...
Replies
Views
Thanks Tamz, that was one of the things I was...
Replies
Views
Back