gas leak | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss gas leak in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Just had an email that has made my heart skip a beat saying I have a gas leak of .75mbar on an install that has been in for 8 months. I guess the engineer has used an electronic meter as its a national company so if I recall that is .25 tolerance for the electronic gauge which brings it down to .5 drop.they state as new install its allowed no drop however when I installed 8 months ago it had no drop on day of commission which imho is then classed as new install.

Would you guys still class this as new install ?

Also the sub meter and pipework is in a cleaning cupboard so God knows what has been flattered into it over last few.months.

Their is an appliance as well on pipework

Their is also no smell of gas

Also do you think the engineer should have just used common sense here?

What are they looking for here? You to go back and trace leak or rerun gas free of charge?

got to ask why someone else was testing the system, could they have smelt gas? I'd pop round and look myself if it were me. I have had a soldered joint crack in the past and end up swivelling round! does scare you what custards can do!!!

Ive said for years when does a new install then become existing.

I'd re test my gauge has a funny five minutes every now and again. Also they are really sensitive if you hold your hand on the anaconda you can cancel out a 1 mbar drop always worth testing.

That's a bit anal for sure, If it bothers you I'd go and re test it to see for yourself, large companies guys can talk a lot of shyte.
I don't 100% know when new becomes existing but 6 months + is plenty of time for pipes to be bash in the meter cupboard or stuff like that.

I would go and test again myself.
went to a job 2 months ago where mains gas had been upgraded and on testing this particular house it had failed so they had capped him of, when I attended it didn't drop atall.
think it could have been his manometer or him just wanting to get on and into the next property having to test 100's of houses so with the slightest movement was easier for him to just cap of and say you'll need to get this looked at.

As for the new/existing thing if I now attended that job I would class it as an existing as it is not a new install to me.

Thats the only thing about machines . At least water never lies. Id defo return and test yourself. Just incase it was a heeder what checked it. And was probably the same heeder he probably nudged the meter on being rawch causing a slight leak. Excuse the slang

Thing is the company say it's relatively new , well it's either New or existing imo

But they say I have to go and repair leak

I like my digital but they do get gremlins sometimes

Surely 8 months later doesn't count as a new install....anything could have happened in that time.

It surprised and alarmed me to be fair and did think that it's someone being a brown noser

new m.o.t only valid for a day of testing but lasts for 1 year!!

cant be responsible for what happens after that..

go and cap your own istall then check first, if its ok give them a price to find the leak elsewhere..

They could of had other gas work done within that time also, 0.75 no smell the bloke sounds like a c#*k.

Just had clarfication from gas safe over this and it becomes existing immediately o completion of commission

A national company! It’s nice of them to send you the e-mail. But what’s it got to do with you!? You were there 8 month ago and had a PASS. They need to crack on with it! It’s not a new install anymore and as you are saying, there’s an appliance on the carcass. You’ve got nothing to worry about. Let them get on with it!

Im with Kris..water never lies. When testing low pressure domestic and small commercial installations, there is no requirement to use an electronic guage and for good reason..so why do it? As an example,the other day i visited a commercial premise that had 2 U16 meters supplying diferent parts of the building. An allegedly I&C certificated GSR was there looking for an imaginary leak and had been there for two days. He said that both ECVc were passing. There were a pair of brand new 2" ECVs on the set, one for each meter inlet. He was using a digital guage. The both installations had good runs of stell pipe, in particular both sections ran through a cold cellar and at least one ran outside for a fair length to feed a commercial kitchen. Seen the weather lately? Its been quite warm..even hot lately..

Over in Ireland Bord Gais won't let you use a electronic meter for testing a new installation. A 100 mbar u tube gauge must be used.

That's 4 weeks actually. Natural gas is here probably 30 years or more. A water gauge you can rely on and stand on and it still works unlike an electronic 1, and that your supposed to get recalibrated every year at a cost. As 1 of the lads says the water level doesn't lie.

Slight update on this

Had an email today from the client basically saying there is a twelve month defect period on this so I need to go back.

However have a few issues with this as another company has gone there and done intrusive gas work
Thus they are asking me to go back for nothing and repair.

Regardless whether another company is contracted in should they be asking this ?

Surely if another gas company has carried out work that breaks your contract with them

So does gas safe! Say ok, but if it's someone else's work you will be charging £290 per hour or part there of. Did you give a 12 defects period and is this a latent defect or damage? Me thinks damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Yeah but they don't always just detect Natural...
Replies
Views
Thanks so much guys, i appreciate ur advice...
Replies
Views
How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here //...
Replies
Views
Back