Gas meter moved outside but not reconnected. | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas meter moved outside but not reconnected. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hello
My Parents wanted their gas meter moved outside. It was in the kitchen and was to be moved to the opposite wall outside.
Northern Gas would disconnect the old meter and put a meter box outside and connect the outside gas pipe to the box. Octopus (their supplier) would come after and connect a new meter in the box. Sounds simple enough.

Today Northern Gas came and did their bit and left. When the meter man came however, he could not connect the meter as their was no new pipe going from the box through the wall connecting to the internal pipe. He told he was only qualified to connect the meter and nothing else, so he left.
We rang Octopus and they said they would send and emergency team out to sort it super quick today. (my parents are pensioners) Later we got a call from the same meter man saying they were sending him, but he could not do it and to contact Octopus.
Octopus closed for the night and will only except emails. Parents home with no heating and hot water.

Did we mess up? Were we suppost to have a gas fitter come inbetween Northern gas and Octopus and connect the new pipe up? Or have one of the others missed a step. Hope someone here could maybe shed some light on this, if they have any experience in these matter.

Thanks

Yep needs a gas safe engy to re do the pipe to the new location

Thank you. So their was miscommunication somewhere. Dunno if we were suppose to know this or were meant to be told this at some point first. So Octopus would not have any Gas safe engineers on staff at all and we need to find out own GSR in the morning?

Both Northern Gas and Octopus, mainly, should really have told your parents that someone else needed to move the pipe.
It's probably in the small print on both their sites.
Yes you'll need to find someone.

Where are they, someone on here may help.?

What an effing balls up! Wedgy I sympathise entirely and hope that your old folks don't suffer too much by way of the glaring 'not my problem' mentality of these effing poorly managed large municipals and their pony good for nothing 'computer says no' subcontractors.

At some point in this process your old folks property would have needed to be surveyed by Northern Gas in order to ascertain what works were to be carried out. I argue, it would have been at this juncture through the process of on site survey and inspection that the customer should have been told what exactly their responsibilities are. If this didn't happen that's bad practice, but not entirely surprising by way of todays modern Britain's large municipal customer service practice.

If I or any of the decent contributors on here run their business's like that we'd get a reputation worthy of a visit from that leather clad motorbike riding d!ck from BBC Watchdog.

That being said, it is indeed the homeowners responsibility to ensure this aspect of the gas supply. And yes, it's more than likely stated to that effect on their T&C's on some paper work that was handed to your old folks. Poor bugg£rs. They are of a different generation of trusting '...the nice man who came round from the gas board'!

Get a Gas Safe Reg engineer to install the necessary extension to the pipe work and IF possible get him to be onsite when the useless fcukwits from Octopussy or what ever they're called come back to install the meter so that you can get the gas installation safely commissioned. I'm just sorry I can't help....being all the way down here in Sussex.

Good luck.

Similar plumbing topics

you will have to call the gas transporter /...
Replies
Views
Even if you did move the meter to the "vacant"...
Replies
Views
Indeed I will, thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
Need to contact the gas networks as the supply...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back