Gas meter | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas meter in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

on31ll

Got a gas meter under my stairs smack bang in middle. So ideally best to het gas meter moved. Basically there a 2ft space under the floor so instead of paying stupid money to get it moved 15 inches can i get a GSR obviously to drop the pipe to the sub floor since ins propped up on bricks then add pipework after the ECV thats there then pop through the floor and add a secondary ECV ? Then have regulator and meter ? That allowed ? And would first ecv need to be accessable ?

Does that make sense to you guys ? I need to get a mate that works for united utilities !

In a word...no. The ecv needs to close to the meter. Not sure exactly how far. The meter shouldn't be on bricks either, it should be on a proper bracket. Call your provider 0800111990 and they'll do f.o.c. Make him a cup of tea, give him a kit kat and ask what can be done.

Its the pipework thats on bricks the meter has a bracket on it ! But cheers !

In a word...no. The ecv needs to close to the meter. Not sure exactly how far. The meter shouldn't be on bricks either, it should be on a proper bracket. Call your provider 0800111990 and they'll do f.o.c. Make him a cup of tea, give him a kit kat and ask what can be done.

Where does it say in the regs that an ECV needs to be near a meter?

So could this be dropped under the floor rerpute pipework then come through an have a secondary ECV ? Would the first one need to be accessible ?

Finding it hard to picture this, however the meter needs to remain accessible for reading etc.

Go on then what's the regs. I personally need one close by to perform a drop test.

6.3.1.1 All primary meter installations shall incorporate a meter regulator in close proximity to the meter.
6.3.1.2 The meter regulator shall be sited as near as practical to the outlet of the ECV.
6.3.1.3 The interconnecting pipework between the meter regulator and the primary meter shall be as short as practical.

No distance mentioned.

And you can't fit a meter under a floor as it would not be classed as accessible. 1st time they came to read it, it would be reported.

6.3.1.1 All primary meter installations shall incorporate a meter regulator in close proximity to the meter.
6.3.1.2 The meter regulator shall be sited as near as practical to the outlet of the ECV.
6.3.1.3 The interconnecting pipework between the meter regulator and the primary meter shall be as short as practical.

No distance mentioned.

And you can't fit a meter under a floor as it would not be classed as accessible. 1st time they came to read it, it would be reported.

As always Tamz puts it far better then me and quotes the exact regs!

nooo not put meter under floor just the first ECV.

basically the upstream suppl comes into my house in steel on the actual subfloor. theres about 2 ft space from sub floor to actual floor but the pipe is held up one end by bricks to just hold it up so the ecv sticks through the floor.

my question is can i drop the ecv to under the floor and alter pipework and add secondary ECV next to the meter giving the meter a new position ?

I'd be tempted to call Transco out as the incoming pipework should be fully supported and not propped up on bricks. You never know they may sort it for free!

I think you would need to open your wallet and give all the contents to the national grid for this job.
is the meter hard piped with no anaconda?

im asking can it be under the floor or would it need to be accesable ?

and no it has a anaconda

I think you would need to open your wallet and give all the contents to the national grid for this job.
is the meter hard piped with no anaconda?

just seing if i can get away with it ! im not majorly botherd its just an easier job if it can be done and then opens up the space

Untitled.jpgwhat it is now

I'd ask Transco to check it as it should be properly supported. If you get a leak on the supply it'll be at up to 75mb and you don't want that much gas escaping under your floor!

I'd ask Transco to check it as it should be properly supported. If you get a leak on the supply it'll be at up to 75mb and you don't want that much gas escaping under your floor!

cheers mate ! guess ill have to ! cant be botherd with one person coming out turning it off then waiting for sombody else to show up !

cheers mate ! guess ill have to ! cant be botherd with one person coming out turning it off then waiting for sombody else to show up !

It's been like that for a while so I reckon they'll turn up to asses then let you know if the work can be done straight away or need to be rebooked. Doubt they'd turn off.

They may drop the pipe, clip it, add a new ECV above floor level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

you will have to call the gas transporter /...
Replies
Views
Looking at a meter installation like yours...
Replies
Views
Yeah sorry, crappy powerpoint skills rather...
Replies
Views
the Same position for meter but riser outside...
Replies
Views
Couldn’t understand that one
Replies
Views
Back