Gas or Electric route | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas or Electric route in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,
Just looking for some advice on whether to start my gas training or to train as an electrician. As we all know the gas industry is a bit of a mess at the moment, with the government proposing to remove gas from home heating. I've been working as a plumber with property maintenance companies over the past few years and finally saved enough money to pay for a gas course. I was planning for this to be my next step in my career in the plumbing industry. Just having second thoughts on whether the gas course is the correct decision.

What does your area need eg see how many gas / sparkies are in the area ?

Gas will be around for a long time yet.
There is no viable alternative for older properties.
The next change will be Nat Gas / Hydrogen mix, currently under trial I believe, then ultimately probably all Hydrogen.
It had been suggested that maybe MDPE / HDPE would be adversley affected by Hydrogen but Denmark have done long term trials on previously used and new pipe from various manufacturers and as yet, after 10 years found no issues.

I would suggest you google search your area to see how many sparks and gas safe engineers there are - around me there is a definite shortage of gas safe engineers

Gas phase-out is only for Newbuild estates, I don't see any issues with domestic gas and even if there was, think of all that easy decommissioning work that would need doing!

Also I’d work out if you can hack it, I have struggled and still currently struggling with it because I’ve been in the same place for 16 years (started as a plumber), and didn’t get taught very well or put a load of it into practice like ventilation, flues, pipe sizing, rad calcs, et al and I don’t understand a lot of it. Seriously contemplating a different career path or just change to something that requires less responsibility and knowledge.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
Hey Kwak, just wondering how you're getting on...
Replies
Views
Stuarty117
S
Contact the op if you can help
Replies
Views
Yeah sorry, crappy powerpoint skills rather...
Replies
Views
Back