Gas pipe in wall | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas pipe in wall in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoggy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all
im at a job putting new boiler in the gas pipe is where I want it in 22 mm but it is not sleeved but its a solid 2skin wall, do I need to cut it out and core to sleeve it or is it ok? I don't mind doing it if it is in the regs but wanted to check frat before I made some work for myself. Cheers martyn.

i've seen a few 'fake sleeves' in my time,
but i'm not advocating that you do such a thing :innocent:

Surely any gsr engineer whos been trained would know this though. This is very basic..

Surely any gsr engineer whos been trained would know this though. This is very basic..
A bit patronising I was only asking the question as if you find it on a job it is ncs so if you read my post you'll see I was just looking for reassurance.

Yea, you really need to sleeve it,heaven forbid there was ever a leak in the cavity and it were ever to fill with gas. If I came across this id have to question the competency of the previous installer in the first place i.e if the pipe isnt sleeved is there a dodgy joint in there.

A bit patronising I was only asking the question as if you find it on a job it is ncs...
Yes it would be NCS. But this would mean to you personally that you can fit your new boiler but are not allowed to turn it on. I would consider that as basic knowledge as well. I would still insist in you keeping asking this questions. But do not be surprised if some answers are questioning you. Both is natural at the beginning of the learning curve.

Add on: You can avoid feeling patronised by just phoning GSR helpline instead on 08004085577.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it would be NCS. But this would mean to you personally that you can fit your new boiler but are not allowed to turn it on. I would consider that as basic knowledge as well. I would still insist in you keeping asking this questions. But do not be surprised if some answers are questioning you. Both is natural at the beginning of the learning curve.

Add on: You can avoid feeling patronised by just phoning GSR helpline instead on 08004085577.

You can avoid being patronised by phoneing gsr helpline !!!!!!!

you kidding me probably phoned them twice to have some smarmy muppett on there , they are the epitome of patronising

You can avoid being patronised by phoneing gsr helpline !!!!!!!

you kidding me probably phoned them twice to have some smarmy muppett on there , they are the epitome of patronising
Sorry to hear that you are not to happy with them. I use them every time I am unsure about a situation. On standard situations they are clear about the matter and on unusual situations you get their opinion with the hint that it is finally your decision but you will be backed by them if you rather decide to be on the safe than sorry side.
Fortunately I must have been lucky by now.

I would not want to miss them, that is one thing that had not really changed from CORGI times.

Such basic sense and the OP thinks its patronising?! Think he needs to redo his training since every pipe that goes through the wall always gets sleeved, water, gas, and yes even safety pipes! I like to be over cautious!
However dirks, GSR helpline i felt isnt very helpful since they told me that i could fit a GAS HOB when i didnt have my COOKERS (spoke to my acs examiner who now deals with gas incidents) who said that was the biggest load of bull**** hes ever heard!

I know pie work has to be sleeved but you don't change pipe work it's just classed as ncs, which is why I came on the forum to get opinions before I tool it out and sleeved it which I did anyway, I'm pretty sure you don't know every reg and come on here and ask questions. Why would I need to retrain? Because I wanted to see other people's views? So every pipe that you see on a job you rip out and sleeve?

I know pie work has to be sleeved but you don't change pipe work it's just classed as ncs, which is why I came on the forum to get opinions before I tool it out and sleeved it which I did anyway, I'm pretty sure you don't know every reg and come on here and ask questions. Why would I need to retrain? Because I wanted to see other people's views? So every pipe that you see on a job you rip out and sleeve?

If its my pipework, yes its all sleeved. Obviously i dont cover pipes that i dont touch, as i know 99% of plumbers do

However dirks, GSR helpline i felt isnt very helpful since they told me that i could fit a GAS HOB when i didnt have my COOKERS (spoke to my acs examiner who now deals with gas incidents) who said that was the biggest load of bull**** hes ever heard!
It is not Amber Gas, is it? The guy on the phone would have been right, you can fit it. You just can not sign it off or turn it on without being checked by someone qualified. ;)
Looks like you got victim of the human element.
But I had a similar situation which I got clarified at a much later stage.

I do not do fires and I never did the course. But I had been asked to service boilers which turned out as back boilers with a fire front.
Now I do turn them down but by that time I had asked Corgi if I would be suitably qualified and the answer was yes.

Nowadays I know that I could service a back boiler with a deactivated fire front legally but I would need a qualified engineer to get the fire front fitted back.
Just fires do not float my boat. I leave them to the guys that had been born in front of one.

@OP: As soon as you alter the gas pipe you should make sure that it is compliant to current standards which it obviously is not without a sleeve. Fitting a new boiler requires you to have the whole installation compliant including the gas pipe.
Otherwise you could as well leave an under sized gas pipe as this would only be NCS too. Or leave the gas pipe unclipped dangling etc.. On a new installation there is no NCS escape.
Otherwise you could even do some ARs because there are no signs of distress so it would only be NCS then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Make sure there is a means of isolating the...
Replies
Views
Lloyd999
L
  • Question
Hello, I am just catching up on some threads...
Replies
Views
It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
Is the gas pipe magnetic?
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
Back