Gas Safe Inspection and Review drama | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas Safe Inspection and Review drama in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Have an ongoing issue with a customer who was told by someone that because her flue on 4th story does not have a collar the building will be uninsurable?? Basically an inspection took place whereby a report has found flue to be not to current standard and advised to fit collar. I agreed to fit this from inside as per manufacturer instructions however the wall years ago had a massive recrangle flue and was patched badly following previous combi install. I made customer aware the wall may not like 150mm core through existing core and said if any bricks fall out etc it is up to her to sort out scaffold and make good the wall. I installed three boilers for her neighbours - same exact building and just pushed new flue into old hole as all were at height, no problems. So had no reason to quote for scaffold here (her quote would have been tripple amount to allow for that). I can't see how I can be expected now to spend up to double of original invoice from my pocket because of the ecisting wall defect.

Again I accepted to do the work as long as any wall issues she sorts out. Now she doesn't agree nor is willing to give me access earler than 6pm or bank holiday. How harsh is Gas Safe likely to be here if they review my registration as I refuse to do the work? Again flue is cemented and everything is safe, just not to man. instruction. She is being unreasonable and expects me to pay for scaffold if the shoddy wall gives and isn't giving me any reasonable access.

Any words of wisdom or experience would be appreciated!

How high is the flue in meters?
How long ago did you fit the boiler?
Is it in writing about if scaffolding is required then its not included in the price?

So it’s cemented up on the outside wall internal and external eg both faces cemented

How high is the flue in meters?
How long ago did you fit the boiler?
Is it in writing about if scaffolding is required then its not included in the price?
Its 9 meters or so was fitted last month nothing in writing about scaffold. From ground up the flue looks fine, things went south when her builders blamed my powerflushing on their pipe leaking and causing waater marks downstairs. The builder quickly got downstairs landlord on board and they started picking holes in my work including why no collar on the flue. Saw one of their guys notch 3/4th off a joist across whole bathroom floor then installed new bathtub there. Never came across bigger pos in my professional life than that builder wondering if I should tell her about joists and if she had building controll check their work🤔

She is a bit of a nutcase as well, cant see builder for who he is, wanted me to unblock her drain and got upset that I didnt want to climb out of her 4th storey window onto a scafoold to check her drain for free. Honestly wondering whats the worst gas safe can do the install they havn't found it unsafe or anything.. surely the gas safe inspector can lift his head up after going outside the block and see about 300 more flues with no collars why not chase after every single one of those installs as well?

Last edited:
If there is access you can hire a long triple or a rope operated extension ladder.
Sand, cement and collar and be away within the hour.
Job done and nothing to worry about. I know it’s a pain but sometimes you have to take it on the chin.

(I posted recently about getting access to a high flue with ladders )
[automerge]1598305742[/automerge]

You either need to cement it up outside or collar that’s supplied can’t leave it with nothing in

the others arnt being picked up as gas safe haven’t been called out to them

Manufacturers instructions mate they need to be obeyed ?? As Shaun says needs cementing up and or a weathering collar. Kop
it is cemented there arent any visible gaps thats the thing.. there is a gas safe technical bulletin that shows my installation is fine. Instead she sided with the landlord downstairs who made up this story that they wont get building cover insurance (despite me fitting 4 boilers in same building thorugh 4 years none of which have collars)
[automerge]1598344928[/automerge]

If there is access you can hire a long triple or a rope operated extension ladder.
Sand, cement and collar and be away within the hour.
Job done and nothing to worry about. I know it’s a pain but sometimes you have to take it on the chin.

(I posted recently about getting access to a high flue with ladders )
[automerge]1598305742[/automerge]
That would be ideal yes I've never wokred on a ladder that high though and those collars are notoriously hard to get on the flue.

9 metres up a ladder and working with both hands off the ladder at times - too much risk.

As for your predicament, with nothing in writing, she is well within her rights to expect the job done to Gas Safe and MI's.
Gas Safe won't back you up either, they will tell you you should have quoted for the compete installation to the regulations.
Even if you did put it in writing, Gas Safe would deem that the job is not compliant and you being the registered person, should have allowed for all necessary equipment to complete the job as per Regulations & MI's.

You might just have to wear this one.

As for the joists in bathroom, wait until you have finished you work and let her know.

I would show gas safe there tb on it as I would say your fine cemented internally and externally also the collar isn’t fire rated so you’ve gone better

Gas Safe always find something it's their job to you could call em in I suppose for a site vist but is it a risk worth taking you may end up doing em all , I would get it in print from the boiler manufacturer that what you have done is correct then go from there . Kop

9 metres up a ladder and working with both hands off the ladder at times - too much risk.

As for your predicament, with nothing in writing, she is well within her rights to expect the job done to Gas Safe and MI's.
Gas Safe won't back you up either, they will tell you you should have quoted for the compete installation to the regulations.
Even if you did put it in writing, Gas Safe would deem that the job is not compliant and you being the registered person, should have allowed for all necessary equipment to complete the job as per Regulations & MI's.

You might just have to wear this one.

As for the joists in bathroom, wait until you have finished you work and let her know.

Was thinking of just ringing round any ladder carrying trades and paying them to put a collar on. Seen people that high on ladders not phased by it surely someone would be happy to earn a bit for what is essentially 15 minutes of work.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks. for the response. I'll take a look at...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry for delayed update - I thought this...
Replies
Views
I think the person who signs it off is worse...
Replies
Views
kirkgas
K
A
I know a couple of lads afraid to riddor...
Replies
Views
Cheers guys :D
Replies
Views
Back