GAS SAFE PART P - Advice on gaining plumbing experience | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss GAS SAFE PART P - Advice on gaining plumbing experience in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ted_tastic

Hi all, just wondered if anyone could help or offer advice on the best way forward? After redundancy last March I secured un-paid work experience with a very well known company who run the Warm Front Scheme.

I came in to the industry as a "cat 3" as I do not have any plumbing qualifications. After completing a portfolio of evidence of installing/replacing heating systems in customers homes I was then able to complete "off the job" training at my local college and gain Gas Safe accreditation in November 2010. I have subsequently taken and hold all other gas elements.

Unfortunately since qualification I have not been able to secure employment as all employers are looking for the full package i.e. Gas Safe, NVQ level 2 or 3 in plumbing or gas installation and maintenance and the all important experience!

The problem is I can't enroll on the NVQ courses without being employed and I can't gain employment without having the NVQ and experience!!

I just wondered if there is any advice out there of how to get around this? Or if anyone who is working in heating who could do with an "extra pair of hands". I would be happy to work as a fitters mate or "trainee" in a position. I'd be happy to do a trial period on a self employed part time basis or as and when required. I just need experience!!

In addition to the gas qualifications I have EAL electrical installation and testing including part P.

I am very hard working and pick things up quickly; I have my own transport and current CRB.

If you can help or offer advice your comments would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
the cat 3 is for experienced fitters, you should be experienced enough to work on gas for yourself or any company without help if you were a cat 3. problem is many centres wnat the money and take you on as a cat 3 without the substantial enough experiences, i feel that misled you and other candidates into thinking your employable when you are not

remember the acs is over a 5 year safety lisense, you actually have no gas or plumbing qualifications. your certs will be gone in a few years, the NVQ lasts for life

Thanks for your response fuzzy. Originally I wanted to gain Gas Safe accreditation and MET1 so I was in a good position at the advent of the smart meter revolution, even that seems to be on the back burner at the moment, I think just BG are installing at the moment!! That said though I did think gaining employment as an improver or trainee with a heating company would be a tad easier given I'd already gained Gas Safe accreditation but unfortunately in this current climate it seems you have to be in the industry for over 3 years with NVQ level 2 as a minimum and Gas Safe Quals. My local college has reserved a place for me this September to start gas installation and maintenance NVQ level 2 on the provision I can provide sufficient on site evidence or gain employment within the industry.

An Ideal situation would be paid employment with a heating company or individual but realistically in this climate and with my experience un-paid work might be the only way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yeah that would be a good start lol, totally...
Replies
Views
Hi All I've just started out studying NVQ...
Replies
Views
Be really careful with online companies...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon, My name is Jordan and I am a...
Replies
Views
Back