Gas safe registration | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas safe registration in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

I would be greatful if you could help me out with a question i have.

Cut a long story short, I was made redundant whilst in the process of completing a portfolio which I need to do my ACS examinations so Im looking at ways of completeing it. I have contacted several firms but with no luck. Ive offered to work for free, again with no luck. I have however found a guy that will let me work with him but he want £100 a day and will sign me off for each job as he does 3 to 4 different jobs everytime he visits a job. He does mostly tenancy work and a few boiler installs. This to me is a bit exspensive and Im sure that working with him for say 10 days, even though I will have completed enough jobs for my portfolio will still not be enough for the examiner to allow me to do my ACS exams due to lack of experience which I totally agree with.

Any I have 2 ideas.

1. My best mate is plumber and is currently gas safe registered under the employer he works for. Obviously this means that If he were to do any gas jobs outside of work hours, he would need his own gas safe number. I have offered to pay for his registration on the proviso that we do any gas jobs together which he is happy to do. We have always said we would 'team up' once I qualify and start working together as a business. Obviously, he would have to set up a business but Im sure this wont be hard and get some public liability insurance, and keep basic details of transactions for tax purposes etc. We will be doing this whilst still working for each of our employers until work begins to pick up which im sure will take a while

option 2 Is for me to set up a business, register it gas safe and put him down as a number 1 gas engineer which means he is the only one that is qualified to sign off gas works. Again this is almost the same as option 1 but it will all be in my name which will give me some assurance and will also enable me to add myself onto the list as a qualified engineer once i do my portfolio and pass my ACS exams. Again we will be still working for our current employers, we will just be doin evenings and weekends and days off until work picks up. Only problem I see with this option is the tax and national insurance side.

If i set up the business, doesnt that mean I will have to 'employ him' therefor meaning i have to pay tax and national insurance for any work he may do.

im am all a bit confussed but would really appreciate you help it getting myself set up in some shape or form. Ive always wanted to be a gas fitter and this is almost my last oppurtunity and I currently hate the job im in and want to suceed in life without being stuck in a job I hate for the next 40 years. Its not about the earning the money that bothers me but more about doing a job I enjoy.

Thanx guys in advance

can not believe it , more and more people are coming for help for more portfolios .....there is so many other threads here nothing personal to you mate I fill sorry for all of you ! As if I knew what I was going to deal with I would HAVE NOT BOTHER SPENDING MY MONEY TO BECOME GAS PERSON 3 YEARS AGO .

But any way good luck you will need it even if you get there is very hard to fined work and if you do will be for silly £ as
there is people working for 100 a day before tax ,
so thing of it before you have spent your £

hi,
assumption in beleiving you will be gas qualified and pass the criteria is wrong.imo.

try plumbing as a business first and develope from there.

hi,
assumption in beleiving you will be gas qualified and pass the criteria is wrong.imo.

try plumbing as a business first and develope from there.

Sorry mate, but Ive tried loads of plumbing/gas business with no luck and I think getting a job at this moment in time without being qualified is almost like winning the lottery. With the way the countries ecomony is, its just not worth a company taking on a trainee when the can pay a few more quid an hour and get a fully qualified gas man, that will be able to work on his own and earn the company money. This is the sole reason I was made redundant. I as a traineee was making the comapny nothing while training, infact I would go as far to say I was costing them money as most of the jobs we did was a one man job, but 2 wages were being paid.

As for assuming I will pass, Not being big headed or anything but Im I know I will pass. Im far from thick. I learn very fast and even when I done the mock exams for the ACS i passed before I even started any training. Most of it is common sense. If its not common sense then the answers are in the book. I was even on the course where a gas guy who had been doing it for 15+ couldnt even get a cooker to light!!:eek: My mate has even called me up to ask me how to use a multimeter on a boiler to help do some fault diagnostics. Now I dont want to sound like a know it all but the basics are already there, i did learn a hell of a lot when I worked with my trainer but again 50% of that was legislation. If I it were up to me, I would go back in time and start from scratch by doing an apprentiship instead of doing my A levels in maths, chemistry and biology, but thats just not goin to happen so Im stuck looking for other alternatives. Sitting at a desk writing methods of analysis, ph testing etc is just not for me.

As for the other guy saying that GSR fitter are only earning £100 per day before tax! so what!!! I said money wasnt important to an extent. Ther is more to life than money. I just want to do a job I enjoy. I earn £80 before tax now in a job I hate. Surely You can see why im doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Partly insurance but mainly because 'you' are...
Replies
Views
Hi, Im jay from south croydon. I am halfway...
Replies
Views
I
No your fine just make sure there registered...
Replies
Views
If you can afford to lose 1/2 or more of your...
Replies
Views
Back