Gas Safe Training/Assessment | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas Safe Training/Assessment in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Advice appreciated please! I'm looking at trying to become gas safe qualified and I must say the whole process seems kind of impossible if you are a bit older (32) and already running your own business doing plumbing/electrical work. Qualifications wise, I have a City & Guilds 6129 Level 2 plumbing qualification. No NVQs to my name. I have a degree in Engineering which seems to count for nothing as far as getting GS Qualified is concerned.

Am I right in thinking I have to do over 100 days of training with a gas safe engineer (if I can find one, can't imagine why a competitor would want to train me!) and earn nothing for this time? (again, can't imagine why someone would want to pay me to train me!).

This doesn't seem like a system that will encourage good plumbers already running businesses to train as gas fitters imo, if I'm reading the rules correctly. I do totally understand there's a requirement to have enough experience before being let loose on people's boilers etc but from what I see the on the job experience requirements seem a little over the top.

Am I missing something completely here?

you will probably only require 35 days as a trained plumber. It may be level 3 though for that. If not 70 days are what you would need.

you must have a mate who is GSR? I work with a plumber who I give plumbing jobs to (when I hear of any or am asked) and he passes me gas work he is asked about. You must get asked from time to time as a plumber if you do or know anyone to do gas work?

You could try and encourage someone who is GSR to do work on your customers boilers i.e services and you provide the jobs? You could charge say £65 and give them £50?

If you train with able skills they offer a placement with them to do your portfolio, at a price obviously

If you PM Kirkgas he would be able to tell you better but i think you may have to do it as a category 3.

There is a way to do this as a cat 2 but that depends how busy you are and whether you want to be an employer.

If you PM Kirkgas he would be able to tell you better but i think you may have to do it as a category 3.

There is a way to do this as a cat 2 but that depends how busy you are and whether you want to be an employer.

tam you dont need me to keep you right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the 6129 is classed as a technical cert not a full qualification so if thats all you have you will be a cat 3 which requires 26 weeks full time course (50-50 split between class and portfolio building) as long as the hours are logged technically they dont need to be done full time, but its very hard to get a training provider to do one day a week or evenings (which obviously takes a lot longer anyway)

what if you have the 6189 ? that cat 3 aswell ? is there a certain course that the colleges run for the 26 weeks ? i thought it all had to me with a gas safe engineer etc ? but obviously kirkgas is the man in the know,

It's just frustrating that a degree and a fair bit of experience now doesn't count for more than the right piece of paper. We all know the NVQ's are just ticks in the boxes where the assessors get paid to pass you anyway!

Not saying gas-safe shouldn't be hard to get but to me the current system makes it prohibitively expensive to get into doing boilers.

Could I try to find a gas fitter who I could pass my jobs on the basis that they let me do them and help with my portfolio under their experience? That way they get some more jobs for their work.

I could see that working if it was allowed. 70 days off the job for me is a no-no, can't afford that being self-employed!

The thing that's weird about it is that dodgy electrics are just as likely to kill people as dodgy gas work and becoming an electrician is a far more simpler (imo 21st century) training route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you can afford to lose 1/2 or more of your...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
Good luck. Unfortunately to most guys this...
Replies
Views
I am about to start a training course to...
Replies
Views
Back