Gas safe training | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas safe training in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

I am considering gas training but to be honest am very confused with what I read about courses, length of courses, prices, etc.etc.

Now, I know many of you are gas safe and have been through the process.

Can anyone spare a few minutes to tell me exactly what course I need to do and the expected course length?

I understand that I then need to do practical work placement to build a portfolio.

From what I have read, you do a course- Ccn1??

Do the work based bits and get every task signed off with photos etc.

Then sit exams at the end?

Is the core gas skills course what I need to do?

what I am looking to do is general gas landlord certificates, boiler services and domestic bits.

Lastly, and I do apologise, some courses seem to guarantee the experience side of things for the portfolio, any experience if this I'd real?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I look forward to all and any replies.

Best regards

Rocket

Speak to Kirkgas, he can guide you through the process from a trainers view. If you catch him in a good mood :grin:

I'm always in a good mood, so shut yer cake hole

There are some providers who guarantee to get you a placement to do your portfolio, and there are some who guarantee to try to get you a placement, beware of the difference!!!

There are different courses available depending on your qualifications, I know the Bpec courses and they are:

CAT 1 for people who have previous provable gas qualifications
CAT 2 is for people with a proven apprenticeship in plumbing and some other associated mechanical trades (check with Bpec if you have a trade o see if its included) the provable bit is necessary it isn't acceptable to say you are a plumber but can't prove it by either having your trade papers or proof from someone like SNIPEF, there are loads of guys who have came in and said they are plumbers but don't have papers, unfortunately they can't be included in CAT 2
CAT 2 course is about 8 weeks theory training, then you need to build a portfolio of evidence with a gas contractor, again check with a training provider to see what their portfolio requirement is, some places do 2 days theory per week and you do 2 days placement over 15 weeks or so, there is funding available from Department of Works & Pensions in some areas for plumbers to up skill and get their gas, check with your local office, it's only available to unemployed

CAT 3 is for anyone else and is 28 weeks full time, half theory and half portfolio building, there are different ways to do the course, some give you all your theory and " try" to get you a portfolio, beware of this route as its in the contract and if they can't get you a portfolio you can't sit your exam but they will still be paid, its a complete waste of time and money,
A provider who guarantees a placement will do so, there is another option and that is to sort your own placement which will be cheaper for you, but discuss it with the provider first, there's no point working with a gas contractor on kitchen contracts and only doing 1 hr gas per day etc

Thank Kirkgas, very helpful.

Basically, I have zero gas experience and little plumbing, what I think I really need is experience but hard to get. I am unemployed in 12 weeks and thus trying to start myself up but little work and quiet.

You mentioned DWP funding? Can you provide any further info in this and I'd also like to ask whether you know of any decent training providers who guarantee the work side of things for the portfolio?

i aam looking at the Cat 3 route which will take me longer but I'd be happier doing it that way. Any providers you know of anywhere ?

thanks again

With your lack of quals you will be CAT 3 whatever you want, I only have personal experience of providers in the Glasgow and Lanarkshire areas, but troll through the posts on here and you will find plenty of comments, make sure you speak to, and are happy with the provider BEFORE you sign to pay because they have the contracts watertight and you will have to pay them if you leave etc

The DWP is the place,to go to sort through funding, but you need to be unemployed for a period of time to get funding, each area seems to direct cash in different ways so you would be better talking to your local office

Thanks again.

my local college does a gas course but I think it is theory only. I am going to call them tomorrow as it less than a mile away. I'll see what they say and report back.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
Partly insurance but mainly because 'you' are...
Replies
Views
If you can afford to lose 1/2 or more of your...
Replies
Views
Apparently there is a management learning...
Replies
Views
Back