Gas supply pipe, who's responsibility? | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas supply pipe, who's responsibility? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure which forum this would be relevant too!

Anyway, for the problem,

My Mum is having an extension built on her house and her builder discovered that the gas line going into the house is buried just below the surface and was covered up by a grass bank that was sloped up alongside the house on the driveway which has now been removed to lay the drainage for the new extension, meaning that the supply pipe will only be a few centimetres below the concrete.

She has been in touch with national grid gas who have acknowledged that pipe is there responsibility and sent someone round to have a look, who said that she shouldn't have to pay to have to have it buried properly as its not her fault and submitted a report.

They are now saying that she has to pay to have it rectified at a cost of several thousand pounds, which to me seems ridiculous as national grid gas or rather one of their former incarnations would have laid this pipe incorrectly in the first place, all be it a long time ago! (The house was built in the 1950's and then she moved into the house just before I was born in 1981)!

Her builder has said that she should pursue the matter with them as it should be down to them to sort it and pay for it, which to me seems to be the correct course of action, but what do you guys think?

Carl.

Where's the meter? The pipework feeding the meter is the responsibility of the gas carrier, from the meter to the appliances is her responsibility

40mm minimum depth below pathways.
375mm minimum below driveways.

you can see the gas suppliers point, they laid an adequate supply once, now the customer wants another one! best thing is to provide a trench and get them to do the pipework, which if their surveyor is reasonable they will meet you halfway

Hi lame plumber,

The pipe was towards the front of the grass verge, so probably not deep enough originally in the first place!

you can see the gas suppliers point, they laid an adequate supply once, now the customer wants another one! best thing is to provide a trench and get them to do the pipework, which if their surveyor is reasonable they will meet you halfway

see where your coming from, but its there and you/your mum want a new one, best to be diplomatic and try the softly softly approach. or you can go elesewhere, you dont have to use transco to lay a pipe, other companies also compete for work, just google them for names and get them to quote, then go back to transco to match if you want.

Ok thanks, I'll let my Mum know!

see where your coming from, but its there and you/your mum want a new one, best to be diplomatic and try the softly softly approach. or you can go elesewhere, you dont have to use transco to lay a pipe, other companies also compete for work, just google them for names and get them to quote, then go back to transco to match if you want.

Hi lame plumber,

The pipe was towards the front of the grass verge, so probably not deep enough originally in the first place!

The first NG visitor got it wrong when they said it would be free.
If as above it only has to be 40mm below footpaths/ verges then you would have to prove it was less than 40mm before the verge was removed, which you now can't do.
It's unlikely it was less than 40mm when originally buried, the ground could have been moved since the pipe was originally installed.

But all that is irrelevant, it was buried under grass and now needs to be buried deeper under a drive, National Grid (and all it's customers ) can't be expected to pay for those costs for everyone who wants to rearrange thier garden.

I hit a gas service pipe with a minidigger a few years ago, the pipe was just under the grass, probably only 100mm.
I had to pay for the repair.

Its hard to judge by worded descriptions rather than pictures but the general rule is that if you want/need a service alteration then you have to pay for it.

Bottom line..it was once buried,now presumably it isnt or needs moving due to building work.

You cannot build over it.

The cost should have been factored in to the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for the replies. So the distance is...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the advice!
Replies
Views
N
Thank you all. The wording was ambiguous in...
Replies
Views
Northgan
N
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
Gottit! Thanks Chris.
Replies
Views
Back