gas system boiler hot water problems | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss gas system boiler hot water problems in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wta99

I should be grateful if you help me with the following query. I had a Worcester green star 30 CDI system boiler (natural gas) installed a couple of months ago. It is connected to a 210 litre unvented mains pressure water cylinder (indirect?) , together with a three channel seven-day electronic programmer (one channel upstairs heat; one channel downstairs heat; one channel hot water heating). To my disappointment, I note that whenever the central heating is turned on then the stored hot water is drained from the cylinder. I asked my installer/engineer about this and he informed me that I should turn the hot water heating on for about 20 to 30 minutes before I turned the heat on i.e. in order to ensure that the water in the cylinder remained hot. Clearly this is not practicable especially whenever one wishes to push a ‘boost’ of heat. Moreover, it represents a waste of energy to have to run the boiler for an additional period than is necessary for the central heating in order to heat the same water once again before the central heating comes on.
Would you please confirm whether or not it is feasible for the hot water tank to be isolated from the central heating? I.e. so that whenever the central heating is turned on, it does not drain the stored hot water from the cylinder. It is my understanding that such a scenario would be much more economical and efficient. It is clearly ludicrous to sacrifice all the stored hot water every time one turns on heat. I appreciate that there is a device called an optional integral diverter and I would welcome clarification as to whether such a device would address my problem. I look forward to hearing from you and I appreciate your assistance.

wta99 ... there is no way that a correctly installed and zoned system would extract the heat from your cylinder! They are . in effect, separate circulation 'zones'. Arew you saying that when the heating is on the water goes cold?

heating and hot water are totaly seperate there shouldnt be any loss of stored water regardless of whats calling i would be very concerned that some thing is piped incorrectly you could be running fresh water through your heating system which will cause rad failiures very soon

Could be missing or non functioning 2 port valves.

Any chance of some piccies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sorry I made the wrong assumption! The gas...
Replies
Views
Have you considered a faulty by-pass valve or...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
B
No the installers need to come out
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Back