Gas water heater/boiler over bath | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas water heater/boiler over bath in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimbojones

Hi All

I'm new to this site have only discovered it this morning and although I'm nota plumber, I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to give me a little advice.

About a year ago I inherited a bungalow from my Grandmother and although it's very reasonably priced, it's not shifting and I plan to modernise it a little starting with the bathroom. The problem I've got is that there's a water heater/boiler above the bath. It has nothing to do with heating (the property uses storage heaters), it's only job is to heat water for the bath/shower.

If I were to rip out the bathroom and put a new suite in, would the boiler need to be moved?

Thanks in advance for any help.

James

Bathroom.jpg

Well normal water heaters can go above the bath, not a problem as no power supply required, does not look very good though and not a good selling point

However it looks like I can see a flue above this water heater which means this is a fan flued type that does have a power supply therefore requires boxing in if in a bathroom above or next to the bath
Actually it is just as well it is f/f and not balance flue (b/f) as if it were b/f the flue termination would have been to close to the openable window by the looks of it and would require moving

So in any case, see you have a space at the end of the bath, so would advise moving the bath along and building cupboard around existing water heater

Would not replace bath or basin or brassware as white and chrome and acceptable just retile ,its the tiles that are a put off, would get rid of the bath wall splash back/shelf though

consider replacing w/c for c/c but not a big issue and might be more hassle than it is worth
imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ever so much for your help. I was thinking of boxing it in anyway (obviously leaving the sufficient legal spaces around it if necessary). Unfortunately, the whole bathroom was installed by a poor amateur (not me!) and although it looks OK in the pictures, I went to the property yesterday and the whole suite needs to be replaced as well as the shower removed.

Just want rid of the property ASAP because the solicitors bills are going up and up every month and I have no choice but to pay them, but that's a story for elsewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

..Thanks, i am wondering if we can keep the...
Replies
Views
Does your hot water tank have 2 elements? If...
Replies
Views
My In-laws lives in Scotland Perthshire (I'm...
Replies
Views
Heating water using electric is about 3 x the...
Replies
Views
That sounds like a good plan, I'll give that a...
Replies
Views
Back