General Pipework Question | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss General Pipework Question in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

L

Leoki

Hello, i hope that someone can help me please, i am getting a bit mixed up with pipework sizes and the different methods of measuring. As much as i do understand is that copper pipework is measured from the outer diameter, plastic pipework such as ABS for wastepipes is measured from the inner diameter but on some work that i have to do with some 3/4 galvanised steel pipework terms of reference are a bit confusing. I think i am getting confused/bogged with with Nominal pipe sizes. I have a chart for example that lists 3/4 inch steel pipework. If you read the line entry across on the chart it has nominal pipe size 20mm or 3/4 inch, outside diameter 26.7mm but it goes on to read major diameter in inches 1.041 and minor diameter in inches 0.949.

Can i confirm that steel pipework is measured from the inner diameter ?

Can anyone recommend a book/publication or a website that i good go too that i could use to help me understand better.

Yes I can confirm steel pipe is measured by its inside diameter. As for a book/publication sorry I can't help. Steel pipe being measured internally is something that was taught to me many years ago.

leoki if you go to the plumbers forum in the stickies at the top there is a post by dave entitled books for plumbers you should be able to find something in there.

Thankyou for the replies in particular steveb for your pointer towards Daves bit on books. I have just ordered Treloars 4th edition from Amazon, you can get it on offer at the moment including free p & p for £19.99. I have an earlier book by Treloar until i checked though via Daves links i just did not realise he has updated it. Thankyou again.

British standards online will has a whole page/section dedicated to current and obsolete pipe sizes and methods of establishing pipe sizes, though im not sure if this information is down loadable.

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
Thanks all - ordered the part and it fit!
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I have water filtering system (reverse...
Replies
Views
yes ur right I meant 2x 3kw big double rads...
Replies
Views
Honestly, I didnt even think about that. I...
Replies
Views
By restriction I mean testing from a gas valve...
Replies
Views
Back