General Price Guideline Thread | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss General Price Guideline Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

There are quite a few newbies on asking about pricing, how much they should charge etc.

Can we have a sticky thread with a GENERAL guide to pricing the most common jobs that plumbers do? Make it a closed thread so no spammers etc can post to it as well?

Would be a useful and very helpful guide to new starts and I reinforce that prices given are a general guideline only and not set in stone.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe in the arms not sure of open forum , otherwise people might see it then when a plumbers goes round they say well on the legendary best plumbing forum they say it will x,y,z also prices are different up and down the country.but thats just my opinion

Won't regional variations make general pricing difficult?

It's a good idea but difficult to put into practice. An example would be a tap washer, first one is thre miles away, combi boiler, on the hot tap, iso valve under sink and your back in the van within 15 minutes. This would be my standard charge. Next tap washer, fifteen miles away, gravity hot water, on the hot tap, no iso valve, gate valve breaks whilst isolating the cold feed, new gate valve, airlock and before you know it you've lost the best part of half a day.

Unless we just generalised thinks by saying 1/2 a day at your standard rate, two hours etc etc etc

A range of usual prices for say the top 10 common jobs? Eg fitting outside tap between £650 and £900?

Oops - just seen open forum ... make that £65 - £90.

I agree with both the above. I rarely give fixed prices for small repair work as complications can arise. I normally say £X for the first hour and £Y per 1/2 hour thereafter.

X and Y vary depending on time of day, whether it's a weekend, etc. I'm based in London and that also makes a big difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
in the arms it could work the difficulty would be the varying prices between areas

As I said, it's just a general guideline only and I totally agree that it should not be in the open forum. It's not intended as a co-incise guide with regional variations, but something basic to help Newbies. For example tap washers, siphon changes, ball valves, and general every day stuff. We all agree on a basic cost for these and this goes into the price guide?

I think a dedicated thread like that could be used as a whip to beat every plumber with, even those who don't post here.

Bad enough that the rates are in a race to the bottom how would it work when you have guys posting prices they charge for "Homers" others who may be on social welfare and working?

There is no level playing field in an open forum so many are anonymous and just passing through hoping to pick up work from people in their own areas, take a look at the recent threads on moving a rad and fitting an outside tap?

By all means have them in the Arms and the Gas Safe register sections, worst that can happen in those is plumbers who are undercharging get to see what they should be aspiring to and the older ones (like me) can view and be thankful we were around when a decent living could be made from the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
Well put Dan, have a good weekend...
Replies
Views
Back