Getting feedback from quotes | Independent Plumbing Course Feedback | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Getting feedback from quotes in the Independent Plumbing Course Feedback area at Plumbers Forums

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Do you like getting feedback / being told you have not been chosen to do the job or does it annoy you if you are beaten on price.

I hate it when you spend a couple of hrs doing a quote and never hear back from people. The guy that taught me keeps saying I should chase the people up. I am just not that kind of person though.

But, I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback

I usually give a few days, even up to a week sometimes then give them a call.

I just say I'm following up on the quote I sent & do you have any thoughts.

I find if they're genuinely interested in you doing the work they'll get back to you before the week.

Sometimes it prompts them to agree to have the work done if they've been busy.

I find it's good to follow up, several times even if they don't agree to the quote they've called again for other work!

Anything over 1000 ill give them a call 7 to 10 days later. If they have found somebody cheaper then fair enough. I dont give it a second thought anymore asvthevprice i was happy with. I like to know when im working that im earning 'happy' money.

I hate it when you spend a couple of hrs doing a quote and never hear back from people. The guy that taught me keeps saying I should chase the people up. I am just not that kind of person though.

But, I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback

This... This annoys me more than almost all other things.
Have the decency to at least contact me and tell me someone will do the job cheaper a really don't give a feck but don't ignore me. I done the honest thing and wasted 2 + hours of my time looking over the job, phoning merchants and working out prices to give you a price asap just for you to leave me hanging....
:censored:

they are all too embarrassed or just dont have the manners to do so. Never worries me if some one wants to go in cheaper, they are more desparate for work, but 1/2 the time I end up going back after a year or so to repair the garbage installed.

This... This annoys me more than almost all other things.
Have the decency to at least contact me and tell me someone will do the job cheaper a really don't give a feck but don't ignore me. I done the honest thing and wasted 2 + hours of my time looking over the job, phoning merchants and working out prices to give you a price asap just for you to leave me hanging....
:censored:

Have you never done the same thing to your merchant? :)

I never ask any more to be honest. If they haven't got back to me after a week or so then they can't afford me. I used to ask and that's what they all told me.

I enjoy quoting, it's pricing high enough to maximise profit with all the staff you have available. Too high and you have not enough work, too low and you are turning work away. Bang in the middle is maximum profit.

Once again, I'm gobsmacked.

Information about business you lose is incredibly valuable. If all it does is help you to identify the customer type who is not going to use you, it saves your valuable time if you can avoid wasting it quoting for that customer type in future.

Here's a suggestion. Stop thinking about YOUR business. Imagine you have been asked by a friend to review the processes and policies of a 3rd party business which happens to be similar to your own. Would you not suggest that they spend a bit of time analysing why they lost certain quotes?

This is not to say that you should quote differently. Some customers are better done without. But if you can identify them earlier in the cycle, you become more efficient. And therefore more profitable.

Information about business you lose is incredibly valuable. If all it does is help you to identify the customer type who is not going to use you, it saves your valuable time if you can avoid wasting it quoting for that customer type in future.

Here's a suggestion. Stop thinking about YOUR business. Imagine you have been asked by a friend to review the processes and policies of a 3rd party business which happens to be similar to your own. Would you not suggest that they spend a bit of time analysing why they lost certain quotes?

This is not to say that you should quote differently. Some customers are better done without. But if you can identify them earlier in the cycle, you become more efficient. And therefore more profitable.

Don't get me wrong Ray. I have done the research and come to the conclusion as to who can afford me and who cant. I get a pretty good feel on the phone now before I commit to a quote appointment which has helped me save a lot of time.

I would certainly recommend all businesses do it until they get an idea of what type of potential customers best convert.

For you it's any customer that likes Maryland chocolate cookies! The diet didn't last long today.

For you it's any customer that likes Maryland chocolate cookies! The diet didn't last long today.

Sorry Keiran. We should have remembered your diet, and sent you some more washers.

Unfortunately for your waistline, the biccies and chocolates have had a marketing impact way beyond their real world cost, so you may as well give in now, and buy some work trousers in the next size up!

It is funny how much easier it is to identify what appear to be glaring problems with other peoples businesses & not your own, I suppose we get so wrapped up in our own little worlds it is often difficult to see the wood of the trees. Ray offers sound advice, it is easy as said many times before to race to the bottom, any one can be a busy (& poor) fool. Identify your market & service it but keep an eye open for any other opportunities that may arise.

Similar plumbing topics

My current dispenser is cordless and extremely...
Replies
Views
D
thanks again pork chop i will go for the 25kw...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 131795
D
  • Question
Having a Viessmann 100W using the 4 pipe...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I have a baxi neta tec combi ga24, if it was a...
Replies
Views
Back