Getting Work As A Plumbers Mate.... | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Getting Work As A Plumbers Mate.... in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
It turns out..is completely impossible.

Even with the Level 2 Tech Cert, your own tools, PPE and transport. Even when offering to work for free. Unless you're a 4th year apprentice, don't even think about it.

I've directly phoned tonnes of companies, sent out hundreds of CV's. Nobody loves me.

Suicide it is then. Goodbye cruel world.

Unless of course.... someone has any bright ideas?

Was it foolish of me to think I might be able to get a simple lowly plumber's mate job without 45 years experience as a brain surgeon? Is it stupid to go after anything but big companies in the current climate? Are there sure-fire ways of finding out what companies have ongoing contracts and maintenance? Might there be someone on the face of the Earth who would take me on? If I were to phone up schools, colleges and uni's.. ask who does their maintenance....? Maybe offices....Churches?... Or maintain a roadside vigil with a sandwich board....? Maybe if I paid for a television ad...

Just place a few ads and work for yourself until you get the full nvq lev2 ...chin up lad I am in the same boat though I just always look back this time a few years back when I was working twelve hour straight shifts as a chef and think no matter how hard it is it beats that! ... the years will tick by and you will eventually have enough skills for someone to take you on ....maybe when the recession ends or the daily mail reports that plumbers wages are crap and everyone tries to retrain as a barman because you can make £500 a week tips. Cheer up old boy and just go for it yourself on small jobs.

I want to support that, johnmcginty. I have been self employed many times in my life and I prefer it. I would suggest that building up slowly and small is a good way to go and be in charge of your own life. Its not easy out there at all so marketing yourself is crucial. There are many ways to do this. Remember whatever you may be (i.e. Plumber, Chef, Courier), if you work for yourself, first and foremost you are a salesman: if you are not - you will not survive.

I could use a good mate. I'm not sure what I could afford to pay him though. Someone with a bit of experience and willing to work hard. Where abouts do you live Water Tight? I'm in the South East, near Tunbridge Wells.

Hi,

I'm in the South East too. I'm in Worthing (50-60 mins away) but the travel would be absolutely no problem to me, I travelled a similar distance every day for 5 months to Edenbridge just to learn plumbing when I did my Tech Cert and am never late. Doesn't matter how early.

My experience may be classroom based so far but I got lots of it and was taught by the best (The Plumbing Academy, Edenbridge, the UK’s first privately run college to be approved by City & Guilds.) And I passed assessments plumbing in several complete bathrooms, completed two HWSC's installations, became accomplished at pipe bending and soldering, passed assessments in plastics, steel and waste arrangements and comfortably versed in the basic theories and science of plumbing.

If you fancy giving me a shot, even just on a few days if you don't need someone full time, I'll happily work for free or whatever you're willing to pay. More than happy. Even if it's just my petrol money (little car, 8 quid a day would cover it.)

I am a very hardworker, a fast learner, I'm 29 and so take things seriously and am responsible. I could provide references and a CV. I've got my own tools. I've even put money aside for my NVQ once I find work. Stop me if I'm going on...

If you're interested my name is Ryan, number is 07595 734331, email [email protected]

Hope to hear from you,

Ryan

Hello Ryan - I've called you. Unfortunetly I'd phoned a guy who'd left his number in the plumbers merchant. I called him before I read your reply. He's also got a level 2 C&G cert, which he got at The Plumbing Academy.

My business is seriously busy at the moment, and I'd love to get you on board if I could. I'm meeting this lad tommorow, to see if he's interested and whether I like him. His name is Luke Turner...perhaps you know him?

Anyway, if things with him don't look like working out, then I'll be in touch immediatly, otherwise it will be a case of waiting till I start the larger jobs I have booked up.

I think it's terrible that guys are willing to work for nothing. There is no way I'd ever do that. Anyway I've prattled on. I'll be in touch again. Cheers,

Dan - 07967 33 60 93
email - [email protected]

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. It's a real shame I didn't get your call. I'm not sure why. I might have been in a poor reception area. My phone is always on me and always on. So please don't hesitate to call again if either Luke is a no-go or when you've got some jobs where you need another pair of hands. I didn't know a Luke personally at The Plumbing Academy, but I may well recognise him if I saw him.

I'm glad to hear you're busy. I actually think I've heard of your company. Hopefully you'll be so inundated with work that you'll have to give me a call sooner rather than later!

As for guys working for free, yeah it's not best, but desperate times call for desperate measures. And if working for free or very little is what it takes to get the experience and to learn to implement the skills I've gained and to develop them into a trade, then I personally would jump at any chance I get.

Anyway, your number's in my phone, hope to hear from you very soon.

Thanks,

Ryan

I've worked as a Plumber virtually since leaving school in the 1960's.

I live in a large Northern city, but still the game is more like a village.

Most employers say "Who did you work for!" roll out a few well known company's who do similar work to them and usually your on!

Get to know working Plumber's go, to their local pub, mix it with them. Even join the union, get to know the score. The lads usually tell one another where the work is. All you got to do is get in the local loop and get yourself known.

I'm in exactly the same position WT.

Im looking for work in Liverpool or anywhere in the North West and there is just nobody willing to give anyone a chance.

Ive sent over 100 CV's out. emailed countless plumbers.

Ive also been applying to the odd plumbers mate position that pops onto the Jobcentre website, ones all around the country as if willing to relocate. But still, nothing!

So, i'll Hi-jack your thread a little bit and say if there is any plumber willing to take somebody on with the Tech Level 2 certificate C&G, I will quite happily work for next to nothing / nothing, aslong as im being trained.

Just gotta keep at it i guess.

Hey, i was in the exact same position as you guys whilst i was in my apprenticeship i was laid off by a small firm and was out of work i hadnt very much experiance at all considerin i had been plumbing 2 years by this time, i just wasnt given the chance to install i was more of a labourer. Anyway i kept on at the college and luckily i manged to get a 3 month trial at a large company in the north east.. that was 3 years ago when i didnt have much confidence, now i am a maintenance engineer with the same firm who are possibly one of the biggest in the country as theyve expanded alot.
Try replying to the bigger firms out there...I wish you all good luck anyway.

this uinfortunatly highlights the simple fact that there is no shortage of plumbers anymore
the plumbers out there have enough work for themselves but are not so snowed under that they can share it out and pay someone else
so many people have and still are being sold the plumbing dream of riches and its just not true and its tough out there for the people who have completed the basics of the 6129
there is so much more to learn and the chicken and egg priciple applies
i need training to get experienced
but i cant get a job because of no experience
i think a lot of people will drift away from trying to be a plumber and until the training companies start being honest about the prospects for employment this will contineu to happen with people handing over up to 5k only to findn themselves in the self same position they were before
after doing a 6129 i wld say a good 2yrs with a time served plumber is needed as a minimum

Hey, i was in the exact same position as you guys whilst i was in my apprenticeship i was laid off by a small firm and was out of work i hadnt very much experiance at all considerin i had been plumbing 2 years by this time, i just wasnt given the chance to install i was more of a labourer. Anyway i kept on at the college and luckily i manged to get a 3 month trial at a large company in the north east.. that was 3 years ago when i didnt have much confidence, now i am a maintenance engineer with the same firm who are possibly one of the biggest in the country as theyve expanded alot.
Try replying to the bigger firms out there...I wish you all good luck anyway.

What company is this? Are they recruiting?

The company is called Rok. Not sure if they are recruiting depends on which area, definatly worth a shout though. you will find your local contacts on this... Welcome to Rok I am quite certain theres 1 in liverpool mate.

Im looking for someone who has good hans on exper on wet systems-NO qual reqd-pricewk, 50-50 longterm prices? eg-650 for combi n 5 rads . intially nth london email- carolan1929"yahho.co.uk

hey lads I guess we all have to keep our chins op.. I'm in the same boat passed the NVQ and am studying the gas diploma but still no interest from the hundreds of calls and applications. I thought living in London with access to the south east may make it easier but still no luck. I'm seriously thinking of the sandwich board approach down the M4 to Hammersmith. Anyone have any other idea's even the offer of cheap (very) labour doesnt seem to work...

with apologies watertight.... I received an e-mail saying someone had replied to a thread I'd started and ended up here... Am I not allowed I'm new to the forum..

have you tried standing in your local plumbing merchants and offering your self for free work i find its better if your talking face to face i managed to get work experience bye doing that but big companies are the ones to go for witch i am going for now after being laid off for money reasons

hi im new to this forum i have just started out a city and guild level 2&3 in plumbing and heating and yes like newbie1 stated i have paid over 5k for this course but for the reason being i have been made redundant twice from various different jobs and need a trade of some sort behind me. im not working at the moment but keen to learn while i study im in the south east but willing to travel however far im needed. my telephone number is 07804744296.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
R
Re: I'm looking for professional and...
Replies
Views
Remik Kosetka
R
Back