Glazing missing from toilet pan | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Glazing missing from toilet pan in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TRENTEND

Bought a traditional style close coupled toilet (£89 Cooke & Lewis Bainbridge) from B&Q -got out the box ready to fit and noticed some of the glaze is missing from the bottom/outside of the pan outlet where the flexible connector attaches the pan to the soil pipe. Is this a problem / likely to cause leaks? I would have assumed the surface area should be glazed / smooth all the way around to ensure a water-tight seal. Took the pan back to replace at B&Q but all of the others were the same and the refunds dept said it was probably a manufacturing fault and I'd probably have to upgrade. Problem is the only other traditional style they have is £180!

Any advice much appreciated.

Try pushing a pan conector onto the outlet if it goes pass the damaged part problem solved. If the seal is in contact with the chip, it depends how bad/deep the it is, so its your call. imo if it was that much of a concern I wouldnt fit as there nothing worse than brown water winding its way to the living room door... Try another store or online for a similar type of pan

Not much help but I wouldnt want to recommend trying something (i.e. cuffin it) and then for it to go wrong

Is this just for the pan or pan & cistern ? the recomendations are that you replace both pan & cistern and not mix & match, its to do with manufactor's design Go to Local plumbers merchant should pick up a full suite for around £100.

Manufacturing fault or not, It should be fully glazed.

B&Q should remove them from sale but we al know how likely that is to happen..

Fitting something like you have is asking for trouble - I'd get a refund and go somewhere else

Sorry trent thats why plumbers use merchants and not B&Q, if the glaze is duff they replace it

If its just the glaze missing i wouldn't worry. Pot ware can deform up to 14% during firing so manufacturers sometimes will round off the spigot if needs be. However if it looks like its chipped off or split then its not fit for purpose imo

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I thought it was the glaze that kept it water tight ? the pottery is porous.

b&q overpriced and poor quality never had a good result with any stuff bought from that place taps toilets or fittings the shop has always been a curse to me now if a job comes in where the Customer has bought things from them that they want me to fit i turn the job down just not worth the hassle

It won't make a lot of difference and not affect the seal. Either fit it or buy a better finished product elsewhere. Just another bit of cheap made garbage that is being sold to the masses. Quality is second to profit with every manu these days.

As others have said, it ain't right. It might be ok and the pan connector may create a seal but you paid good money for a new toilet which should be made properly. Get a refund and go to a plumbers merchants for a proper loo.

I recently got a Sharnford from PTS for less than a ton including nice soft close seat, it seemed reasonable quality and customer very happy with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Used a plinth and mcalpine connector...
Replies
Views
G
The multikwik seems to have worked :D! Here's...
Replies
Views
givingitago
G
Once again thanks! No I wasn't going to use...
Replies
Views
B
Tks for response I'm hoping you're right 'cos...
Replies
Views
btibuzz
B
Back