Gledhill PulsaCoil PCR hot water cylinder | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gledhill PulsaCoil PCR hot water cylinder in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LikeAPossum

Hi, I'm trying to find out a reason for very high electricity usage in my flat and I'm suspecting my water heater. It seems to be losing a lot of heat. The cabinet is always very warm and I took off the front panel it turned out there are long stretches of very hot copper pipes completely exposed. It seems bonkers to me, but I'm no expert that's why I have two questions:
1. Will it be ok if I put proper foam insulation on the pipes, or am I risking an armageddon?
2. The water is made extremely hot - much hotter than I need or want. I assumed there would be a way to tune that, but I don't see any control panel. Is it possible?

if your taking panels off to expose pipes the manufacturers havent insulated, is it wise to go fiddling?. are you on a electric meter or on a card meter,as card meters cost a fortune have a look here for more info on instruvctions etc [DLMURL="http://www.gledhill.net/page/185/PulsaCoil-BP.htm"]PulsaCoil BP - Hot water cylinders | Indirect hot water cylinders | Gledhill cylinders | Pressurised hot water cylinders | Domestic hot water cylinders[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
You are using the off peak immersion I hope and not the expensive boost immersion.

if your taking panels off to expose pipes the manufacturers havent insulated, is it wise to go fiddling?. are you on a electric meter or on a card meter,as card meters cost a fortune have a look here for more info on instruvctions etc [..]

Judging from the photos in the manual it was the installer who chose not to insulate the pipes. Also, on page 17 it says "7. DO insulate any exposed hot water pipework in the PulsaCoil BP cupboard and appliance." So, I think I'll go for the insulation.

I'm on a meter. The price is not a problem, but I've been using 14kWh per day in the last two months... We've hardly done any heating as the flat is small and in a newish building. Plus, a lot of the heat is probably courtesy of the water heater.

You are using the off peak immersion I hope and not the expensive boost immersion.

I'm on a flat tariff and I don't think the heater turned on at all when "on peak" was off. I had calculated that I would have to use 70% of electricity during off peak to break even with the standard tariff, which is unlikely, so I would prefer not to switch. I hope there is a way of using this heater on a flat tariff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
Sorry, my original response should read if...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Too much flow through the return needs a...
Replies
Views
Back