Glow worm 246 BBU gas valve needed | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Glow worm 246 BBU gas valve needed in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey all,

I need a gas valve for the above boiler for one of my elderly customers. The boiler is old, but is in good condition and she is not in a position to be able to afford a new system.

I know they are discontinued, but if anyone has one in there garage or is due to replace one soon, please let me know.

The gas valve is 24v, has a blue dial and is labelled ITT general controls. The number on the valve is worn but I think it reads UB38RAB29.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers tamz, I saw the one on ebay earlier, the thing is the one on the BBU has a blue dial but also a large plastic blue section that the wires connect on to.

I can't see the just my stock page, it says " access denied"

Can you tell me how I access the solenoid and where I can a replacement ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Is it one like this
Maclaren Glow Worm ITT Gas Valve 1/2" on eBay (end time 24-Feb-11 23:27:03 GMT)

Check the price. Is he having a laugh. Those ones are older and you don't see them so much now.

You just take the 4 screws out the top of the blue bit, pull it off and swap it.
If the pilot is staying in and the gas valve is not opening it is the solenoid. Check you are getting 24v to it as it could be the transformer that's away.
You could try giving the valve a few taps as sometimes they just stick.
Good hunting. Its a shame to have to condemn something that is otherwise fine because you can't get a part, especially with old pensioners.

Cheers mate. I'm getting voltage to the gas valve, pilot lit, just won't go to full flame. And yep, that is the one and yep the guy is having a laugh.

So I guess I just need to work out what solenoid it uses then and swap it. It's worth a try, as you said, shame to scrap a boiler just because of a obsolete part.

Mate, the Industry is clamping down on this very practice. If the part ain't new and they don't make 'em, she's gonna have to upgrade. There's warmfront / eaga if she has no dough

Mate, the Industry is clamping down on this very practice. If the part ain't new and they don't make 'em, she's gonna have to upgrade. There's warmfront / eaga if she has no dough

Next you'll be telling me cats don't taste like chicken:D

brought one off ebay 2yrs ago and paid £120,got the customer out of trouble during the winter,she had a new boiler fitted the following summer,open to offers as i regained it.

Hmmm! got to do what you feel is right, Gas engineers won't buy 2nd hand parts and I do know that this site doesn't condone illegal practices.... you carry on eating cats....I'll stick to *****

[DLMURL="http://www.abcotuk.co.uk/subcategory.aspx?catid=C2-27"]Printed Circuit Board | Circulating Pumps | Diaphragms | Thermostats | Fuses[/DLMURL]
i have looked here normally a good source of gas valves but they dont have one,have you tried g.a.s (Preston)?

Last edited by a moderator:
?whats illegal about fitting a fully functional gas valve.i have brought goods off this site previously without issues as i am sure other engineers have,why the strange attitude towards felines?

?whats illegal about fitting a fully functional gas valve.

Absolutely nothing.

I have a few elderly customers with old obsolete boilers. Not everyone can qualify for an eaga system. Some people actually (maybe at times to their detriment) actually planned for their retirement and saved a bit, which disqualifies them.
If i can keep an old person warm by keeping their boiler running i will.
Maybe some "gas engineers" need to take their head out their rse and realise they are providing a safe service.

Last edited by a moderator:
why the strange attitude towards felines?

Nothing personally against cats but it is a standing joke at our local Chinese that cats taste like chicken.
Puss on the other hand, as we all know, can taste/smell like fish..............:confused::confused::confused:

Gas valves on the another hand, either work or they don't.
That is about all that can be said of them.

Nothing personally against cats but it is a standing joke at our local Chinese that cats taste like chicken.
Puss on the other hand, as we all know, can taste/smell like fish..............:confused::confused::confused:

Gas valves on the another hand, either work or they don't.
That is about all that can be said of them.
slow on that one D O H,as for gas valve spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

they are no longer made but try here UK48RBB01...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
Just one more thought - if it is an...
Replies
Views
On the basis that one opinion is good but two...
Replies
Views
That’s cool, folks, thanks. I will admit to...
Replies
Views
Back