Glow.worm boiler explosion. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Glow.worm boiler explosion. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

My LPG Glow.worm Ultracom 30 sxi boiler has exploded in some way. The front has blown open and the casing has buckled. (I was on holiday at the time. Thermostat left set at 16deg.) Annual Service four weeks ago. Boiler and heating still working! Any suggestions on cause?

Attachments

• 9E056C27-C2A8-458D-AECF-053F8A21C80D.jpeg
    9E056C27-C2A8-458D-AECF-053F8A21C80D.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 76
Turn it off and leave it off also time for a new boiler sorry to say

Thanks. Guessed that would be the case. Just wondered what could have happened especially as advised by engineer at service it was in excellent nick!

Have they every cleaned inside the boiler eg stripped it down ?

I’m guessing it didn’t light first time and when it fired the second the extra gas made it go bang maybe

I hope they replaced the burner door seal and nyloc nuts when they cleaned the hex & burner as required, & LDF the GV inlet. This as previously mentioned needs turning off, isolating and reporting to gas safe & riddor for investigation. DO NOT USE!
[automerge]1574760104[/automerge]
I’m guessing it didn’t light first time and when it fired the second the extra gas made it go bang maybe

Still it should not go bang even if it does not light first time. Should just go to lock out after 5 failed attempts should it not?

There are a number of reasons that could have happened and they may be unrelated to the Engineer. It is important you have this investigated for obvious reasons. There are others with the same Boiler, so if there is a fault it needs to be dealt with very soon.
Thank you. Have requested an engineer assessment and will ensure it is followed up.

I hope they replaced the burner door seal and nyloc nuts when they cleaned the hex & burner as required, & LDF the GV inlet. This as previously mentioned needs turning off, isolating and reporting to gas safe & riddor for investigation. DO NOT USE!

Still it should not go bang even if it does not light first time. Should just go to lock out after 5 failed attempts should it not?
mains gas shouldnt but lpg is a different animal. as lpg is heavier than air and it may not for whatever reason have all been purged out of combustion chamber on ignition sequence and has sat in bottom of boiler waiting for an ignition source
[automerge]1574797740[/automerge]

mains gas shouldnt but lpg is a different animal. as lpg is heavier than air and it may not for whatever reason have all been purged out of combustion chamber on ignition sequence and has sat in bottom of boiler waiting for an ignition source

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
No taps or showers have been replaced. We did...
Replies
Views
Yeah, good shout. I will use the immersion...
Replies
Views
A
Thanks for that. And yes, time for an engineer!
Replies
Views
Andy Don
A
Hey John, Sorry getting back to you so late...
Replies
Views
Back