glow worm boiler wiring problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss glow worm boiler wiring problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
little help guys, installed one of these boilers and since it doesnt have a pressure guage it only has an electronic display i had to get power to it, sparky was ment to wire it up for me but didnt and now he's on holiday.

Wired a 3 pin plug to the live, neutral and earth connections(temporary). Double and triple checked wires were in correct place, plug in boiler switch on and rcd trips :(

question is what can cause the rcd to trip ? and will i have to get sparky out to replace rcd since it isnt going back in the on position.

Water main earthed, cross bonded pipework, gas MEB not connected yet.

can a blown fuse in the plug cause the rcd to trip ?

the combi's are quite straight forward its the system boilers and regular boilers that i mess up because of the stupid cartridge set up .
possibility of the wires not being what they are supposed to be ??

I only had some 4 core T+E available so I was only going to wire it up temporary so I could commision until i got 5 core flex from sparky in work to wire in boiler/room stat. I used the brown as live, grey as neutral, black as earth, removing the normal earth wire completely since i didnt have any sheathing. was a 13amp fuse in plug

Back there tomorrow Gerry? Try a short circuit check on the appliance from the plug! Sounds like you have a dodgy wire somewhere :(

I will be back there on thursday diamond gas, its an empty house and its my cousins so no worries, I'm sure I didnt mix my wires up, will the RCD need to be replaced ?

check the boiler plug had a stray strand before touching the neutral from the live my fingers not as nimble as they used to be.could the new pump be stuck pump.
ant

I only had some 4 core T+E available so I was only going to wire it up temporary so I could commision until i got 5 core flex from sparky in work to wire in boiler/room stat. I used the brown as live, grey as neutral, black as earth, removing the normal earth wire completely since i didnt have any sheathing. was a 13amp fuse in plug

As long as you set them up the same way plug end and boiler end the colours don't matter ! 3amp fuse though (maybe a bit to late) :38:

Whoever decided only have a electronic presure read out on a boiler is most definatly not on my christmas card list!

I went to one of these tripping the RCD last year (was under waranty still), from memory glow worm had to replace the PCB as it was faulty.

i know about the fuse but didnt have one and as i said its only temporary to commission, do you think manufacturing fault ? I checked all wires prior to wiring, i made sure everything was fine as the last thing i wanted to do was trip the bloody rcd !!! lol

i am not a fan of the lcd unit on glow worms , thinking about it am not a fan of glow worms!!

i know about the fuse but didnt have one and as i said its only temporary to commission, do you think manufacturing fault ? I checked all wires prior to wiring, i made sure everything was fine as the last thing i wanted to do was trip the bloody rcd !!! lol

Wouldnt the 3 amp go first tho??

check the boiler plug had a stray strand before touching the neutral from the live my fingers not as nimble as they used to be.could the new pump be stuck pump.
ant

it was single strand wire or whatever the hell you call it, not the little fibres :p

it is the rcd as its tripped at the consumer unit and not resetting

Isn't that sods law!!! :lol: the only possible dodgy boiler fitted in ages and it's the one you temp wire :rofl:

If you've pulled your hair out over it mate I'd suggest getting a second head in if you can? I wouldn't rule out a dodgy boiler but without testing you just wouldn't know yeh?

will ask sparky in work about rcd and will do a short circuit test on thursday, i dont think the boiler has an off switch so its a different test yeah ?

the display never even lit up on the boiler i may add it was stone dead and its only when i plugged in radio i noticed rcd had tripped

rcd trip on earth faults. So you have a fault to earth somewhere.

Remove your cable from the boiler, check continuity between your cable wires L-N,N-E,L-E and you should get open circuit which means your cable and plug should be fine, any readings and your cables or plug has a problem. check continuity between the connection terminals on the boiler as the cable, if you get a reading between L-E OR N-E then there is def a fault on the boiler. (although this wont test all the boiler)

If you plug other items into the same plug socket and they dont trip the rcd then its not the fixed wiring.

i dont think the boiler has an off switch so its a different test yeah ?

A quick test at the plug will let you know whether the wiring you put in is at fault or not ... if it's popping fuses after that then it could be down to whatever goes on in a pcb after it's given life :)

one thing to check which i have seen happen before is when it gets wired no stray cuts of wire have dropped into the electrics box which could cause a short.

Had a couple of worcesters go like this, turned out the sparks on site would pull the cable into the boiler and strip it over the pcb and drop strands of wire all over the place. Bang!! thankfully worcester bosch engineers are very nice and it got sorted for free. The sparks got told it had cost £200 each boiler and he would have to cover the cost....... do you know supprise, it didnt happen again :)

AFTER ALL THAT !!! IT WAS A BLOODY LUMP OF PLASTER WHICH FELL ON A SOCKET HANGING OFF WALL, ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF ROOM I WAS WORKING !!!!!!!!!

found this by turning off consumer unit and back on, RCD back on, and turned each breaker on individually until one of them tripped without boiler wired up(kitchen sockets)

at least I didnt do anything wrong and boiler is ok(i hope so anyway), all that stress for nothing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Did you check that the valve opens when the...
Replies
Views
Hi - I found the fault. There are two actuator...
Replies
Views
Agree mate could be as simple as a loose wire...
Replies
Views
There is no reverse circulation, tested all...
Replies
Views
Back