Glow-worm hideaway boiler 70b/80b | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Glow-worm hideaway boiler 70b/80b in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sheeny

Hi, got one of these boilers, seems very innefficient the amount of heat going out through the flue to the outside seems way more than acceptable.
The amount of gas used each day (on twice,for about 9 hours in total) is around 18/20 numerals on the meter.
Question is, is the boiler faulty (its about 20 yrs old) or just normal for that type of boiler?
Cheers

well if you are getting a nice blue flame and you know doubt have it serviced every year I cannot see the problem since we are having the coldest snap in 20 years, i would recommend getting a CO detector also

Yeah nice blue flame...... got that, but you could cook a meal on the vent going outside.
Is it normal to lose so much heat through the flue??

well if you are getting a nice blue flame and you know doubt have it serviced every year I cannot see the problem since we are having the coldest snap in 20 years, i would recommend getting a CO detector also

if this is a balanced flue as i am assuming it is as you say you can touch the flue,it should have a guard around it and yes it is normal to get very hot your boilers not very efficient but look on the plus side theres no condensate pipe to freeze,if your concerned about your boiler call out a gsr engineer

agree with above ,but i regret taking mine out as it use to keep the kitchen nice and warm and great for drying the clothes

i can guarantee that the boiler you replace it with wil not last as long and will breakdown a lot more

i can guarantee that the boiler you replace it with wil not last as long and will breakdown a lot more

I can well believe it, but a new condensing boiler would be a lot more economical, so it's probably swings and roundabouts.
cheers.

the only problem I ever had was replacing the thermocouple and eventually having a water leak from the heat exchanger, so i replaced it with a broag remeha 2.5 years old starts leaking water from the diverter valve fortunately got a warranty call guy comes out and hasnt parts ,then I had to wait 2 weeks for guy to come back ,mean while leaving 2 buckets under boiler, guy arrives and replaces diverter valve ,sychron motor,clip, happy days , 3 days late leak starts again condensation pipe frozen , to be honest the old one was better in some ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Hi and thanks for the reply. No I purchased...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
IMO, 50mm is definitely worth increasing to...
Replies
Views
Back