glow worm micron 40ff noise | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss glow worm micron 40ff noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxy_plumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi fellas,

just popped to this boiler on my way home. Never heard such a loud noise. Seems to be coming from the gas valve, sounds like when you shooting gun. Boiler does it when ignites. It works fine but noise is unbearable. Did any of you have this before? Im quite convinced its a gas valve (probably solenoid) but dont wanna be wrong and spend money of new valve yet.

Many thanks,

martin (live long and prosper)

Had the same thing on an Ultimate the noise is unbelievable that was the gas valve,the solenoid goes crazy chattering when energised.

Was working for a company someone else fitted complete valve didn't get any calls about it so I figure it cured it

Chattering Valve is either due to intermittent power supply or knackered solenoid! If you put your multimeter across the valve terminals whilst it's chattering you'll be able to tell which! A constant supply will indicate valve, fluctuating would need further investigation IMHO! Just changed a honeywell grey button solenoid the other day for 'chattering'... test gave a constant 240v across the L&N ... :)

I had this on an Ideal Classic. It was the pcb. You need to check the voltage going to the gas valve is consistent. If it isn't, it's the pcb. If it is, possibly the gas valve.

I had this on an Ideal Classic. It was the pcb. You need to check the voltage going to the gas valve is consistent. If it isn't, it's the pcb. If it is, possibly the gas valve.
Had it as well on an old Sime Super or something. Thought was gas valve/solenoid and turned out was PCB.

Tis why you're better off testing the power to the solenoid. You'll see the power jumping about if it's upstream of the valve. Dirty contacts on stats and relays can interrupt the supply and bring about the 'chatter'. This will only occur upstream on older appliances post pre-mix burners I'd imagine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
Probably best discussed with your installer...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I’ll make one, it’s basically only two bits of...
Replies
Views
Just one more thought - if it is an...
Replies
Views
When it starts banging again, check that the...
Replies
Views
I would go fixed price Glowworm repair. As...
Replies
Views
Back