Glow worm. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Glow worm. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

London Gas

Gas Engineer
Hi guys,

Having a bit of an issue with a Glowworm 18hxi at the moment, went out to one today and it was leaking CO pretty badly, seal was last changed in 2010 for the graphite version, door was also slightly warped, door has been changed as well as all the insulation as this was all severely damaged, also I have replaced the flue collector as this had some staining on it, now after all of this the flame picture is pretty bad, and I am still getting readings from near the burner door but cannot pinpoint where exactly this is coming from and I am running out of ideas, flue has no signs of stress or spillage, air intake is clean. Are these prone to leak from anywhere else?

If burner door was warped this may have damaged the heat exchanger itself resulting in a poor seal.
If all other parts are sound (flue collector, flue, burner seal) it sounds like only plausible explanation.
Can you not pinpoint using your FGA?

Just a thought.
Run boiler as if you're going to fire it but with gas off so it doesn't fire. Put LDF around the combustion chamber door and see if the fan blowing in causes bubbles around the outside.
That should pin point the gap.

The HE itself appears to be fine i'm getting high readings round the top of the burner door which doesnt make sense as its had every seal changed.

Flue collector is clear zero readings there and its been replaced, nothing around the rear connection either.

How high are the readings? One thing you could try is get a long probe into the flue inlet duct but from inside the boiler just to verify one of the inner seals has not been pinched when fitting.

I take it it's a short flue?

Readings are really inconsistent ranging from 300-1200 PPM of co, gas valve is completely out of sync also flame picture is light blue with 0.0050 and 2000ppm co from the sample.

Is this set for LPG ?
Only thinking out loud because of flame colour.

Other than that are there any cracks in the door or face of heat ex

Not set up for LPG. Although the gas valve is definitely out and needs to be reset from scratch but cannot do this with a leak as its affecting combustion. I think the issue with the flame picture is primarily due to the improper combustion caused by the leakage which seems to be coming from the door but the seal is intact as its brand new. The HE is only a couple of years old it was replaced before due to having corrosion to it presumably the lower seal perished and done some damage, the casing (not the burner door) has also warped due to what must be heat damage from the burner leaking.

What's the ratio at the test point? A leak would not affect combustion as the heat exchanger is under positive pressure

There is a small rubber seal located where the burner mixing arm fixes to the burner flange held on by x3 screws have a sniff around there, but if it's previously suffered from seal failure then flange may have warped slightly........... As for the gas valve screw the throttle in all the way clockwise then out again 7/8 full turns that will get you somewhere near for setting the co2 on high (don't forget to set the low as well)

Not set up for LPG. Although the gas valve is definitely out and needs to be reset from scratch but cannot do this with a leak as its affecting combustion. I think the issue with the flame picture is primarily due to the improper combustion caused by the leakage which seems to be coming from the door but the seal is intact as its brand new. The HE is only a couple of years old it was replaced before due to having corrosion to it presumably the lower seal perished and done some damage, the casing (not the burner door) has also warped due to what must be heat damage from the burner leaking.

If it's only a couple of years old why haven't you got manufacturers out ?
I had a commercial Baxi a couple of years ago.
I created a stink as the boiler was only 5 and the burner fell off. ( you can imagine the explosive ignition) the first 4-5" of burner was still there so it still lit !, very scary !

I asked for a new boiler and for Baxi to pay my fee for replacing it.

They did !
And rightly so. It sounds like your glow worm needs a similar outcome

Cracks in the insulation pads? If it's been burning incorrectly since heat exchanger and door were changed it could have damaged the new parts again. Agree with previous posts it should be covered by manufacturer if installed as MI's. If not sounds like a new boiler if heat ex and door have both warped again?

All sorted found a tiny little gap in the flue where one of the rubbers had split (not fitted properly and covered up with the collar) gas valve had clearly been adjusted incorrectly the previous year and left burning poorly. The new burner door was very slightly warped and I took it back to my supplier and had it swapped. All sorted now though thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

RGI fix only dangerous for untrained and non...
Replies
Views
Hi Have a Glow worm Flexicom 30cx-Installed...
Replies
Views
Flue restrictor problem?
Replies
Views
True but I’ve seen very little ri have...
Replies
Views
Hey John, Sorry getting back to you so late...
Replies
Views
Back