Gloworm boiler and central heating problem - can anyone help me ( and my plumber) | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gloworm boiler and central heating problem - can anyone help me ( and my plumber) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jer

Our gloworm boiler sounds like its humming quite loudly all the time and can be heard all over the house.

It intermittently fires up and then switches off about 15 seconds later.

The 2 radiators on the top floor of our 3 storey terraced house also come on when the heating is not on but if we turn the thermostats right down and turn the heating on they dont come on, so there is some element of control.

My plumber who is gassafe registered etc basically cannot solve the problem, can anyone help point us in the right direction??

Thanks in advance

Jer

Thats an eerie silence..I was a bit surprised when my plumber said he didnt know what the problem was....but I guess its a lot more complex than we thought if no one has any ideas.
Just for reference its a Compact 60SB boiler and there is a Drayton Actuator on the top floor and I wonder if this is the problem ?

Any help guys ??

I am surprised that your plumber does not know whats wrong, because even with your very limited info I can almost work out whats likely to be going on, we cant give advice here regarding work on gas appliances if you are not gsr.
Your best bet is to get a GSR eng in that knows/does breakdown work, and they will fix it!

Ask him to bring in someone as a second opinion or get someone else...

Thanks guys,got no intention of tinkering with this myself,dont do diy of any description when theres a pro who can do it right!

I got my goon from the gas safe website - or should that be the goons safe website ermintrude !

Anyone know the likely cost of this repair ?

Can anyone recommend a plumber who is gsr in bristol ??

Our gloworm boiler sounds like its humming quite loudly all the time and can be heard all over the house.

It intermittently fires up and then switches off about 15 seconds later.

The 2 radiators on the top floor of our 3 storey terraced house also come on when the heating is not on but if we turn the thermostats right down and turn the heating on they dont come on, so there is some element of control.

Jer

Intermittent firing suggests restricted flow.
Radiators coming on when heating is off means the heating is on.
Sounds like wiring problems.
That should have been covered in his course ?

I am surprised that your plumber does not know whats wrong, because even with your very limited info I can almost work out whats likely to be going on, we cant give advice here regarding work on gas appliances if you are not gsr.
Your best bet is to get a GSR eng in that knows/does breakdown work, and they will fix it!

Hi 0304Driver, still struggling to get this repaired, can you tell me what you think the approx cost would be ??

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
If the pressure is going that high with the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back