Gloworm flue on vokera boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gloworm flue on vokera boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

richardd

I have just came across on an annual service a vertical metal Glowworm micron ( non condensing ) terminal used on a vokera compact 29a condensing boiler. The terminal goes straight into the boiler no joints as its in the loft area.

The boiler was a swap as the paperwork / old service history was present.

I have shut the boiler down and provided a quote to replace the flue with a vokera vertical terminal.

I took flue gas reading from the boiler which were in range ( Boiler still shut down )

Has anyone else came across this ?

The installers details are also present I think I will call him and make him aware of his mistake.

see what they have to say, confirm your point with gas safe and riddor if need be.

Had one last year and Gas Safe said it's a NCS!! Had to kick up a right stink along with the customer to get the inspector out but once on site he ripped the installer a new A&£@ hole!

Replaced flue with boiler manufacturers and everyone is safe.

Had one last year and Gas Safe said it's a NCS!! Had to kick up a right stink along with the customer to get the inspector out but once on site he ripped the installer a new A&£@ hole!

Replaced flue with boiler manufacturers and everyone is safe.

So if gas safe classified this as NCS really i shouldn't have shut down the boiler.

I was concerned with spillage issues with condense corroding the metal. Which I would class as ID Althought there was no evidence of corrosion as I didn't inspect the flue internally.

I ID'd the boiler and would do the same if I come across it again.

And there lies the problem for Mr and Mrs public even the guys that are supposed to be qualified all have different veiw points and then add Gas safe to the mix ?
No wonder people get confused and feel they are being ripped off when one guy says that is ok and another says it is condemmed ?
Do not know how you sort it but it is something to always bare in mind ?

And there lies the problem for Mr and Mrs public even the guys that are supposed to be qualified all have different veiw points and then add Gas safe to the mix ?
No wonder people get confused and feel they are being ripped off when one guy says that is ok and another says it is condemmed ?
Do not know how you sort it but it is something to always bare in mind ?

bare in mind the gloworm flue
is metal and should not be used on condensing boilers only non condensing .Condensing boiler flues are usally plastic.

If combustion readings are good and no sign of distress then it is only NCS if incorrect flue or flue material.
Had at least 3 from memory with same situation.
I did AR last one though as don't agree with the NCS ruling. Vokera Excell flue had been fully replaced with a Vokera HE (plastic) flue. No sign of distress and combustion readings ok.

Trouble is all the new flues look the same , probably all made in same factory ! same as a lot of boiler parts, just stamped with a different name, and sold at different price,

If all readings were ok and no other problems with flue/ seals etc I would AR it as well. I think NCS is a bit low really.

I'd ID it all day long wouldn't want that on my conscience. Pretty sure the manufacturers wouldnt be to happy about it either.

And those last 3 posts just prove what I was saying ?
It is still pot luck who comes out as to what they tell the customer ?
Is there not talk of doing away with NCS

in my mind its ID all day, something not specified by the manufacturer. fair enough if it was a flue from a condensing flue then AR or NCS depending on readings from FGA. but in this case it is a metalic inner flue from a standard efficiency boiler. the flue is one of the most important parts of a boiler in the fact that it facilitates the evacuation of poc from the boiler. if its not specified by the manu and you only AR Or NCS and it corroded through and killed someone it would be your head on the chopping block.

Can't this be moved to the gas safe only section away from joe public and DIY Dave.

Basildog.

I'm trying to work out whether you're on a wind up or not. It certainly seems as though you are. I should stop now if I were you as you're needling quite a few of the members and we WILL take whatever steps we see fit to maintain the peace and harmony on UKPF.

I had a newly installed and once serviced (less than 2 years old) worcester bosch fitted with a vaillant flue on a housing bum job last year.I had the Flue changed the same day.

AR all day long.

Basildog.

I'm trying to work out whether you're on a wind up or not. It certainly seems as though you are. I should stop now if I were you as you're needling quite a few of the members and we WILL take whatever steps we see fit to maintain the peace and harmony on UKPF.

No not at all I just hate to see people being told several different things by tradesmen it is hard enough when you are in a trade I am trying to point out how difficult it must be for Mr and Mrs public .
I have been in the building trade over 30 years and to this day it never ceases to amaze me how intollerant of people asking questions the so called tradesmen can be ,surely it is in their interests to educate not alienate ?
I know as well as we all do that you will always get differing view points .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
It is a known problem with the Vokera Vision...
Replies
Views
Get your local gas Safe inspector out to see...
Replies
Views
Thank you for responding Chuck, I have booked...
Replies
Views
Back