Glowworm boiler broken | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Glowworm boiler broken in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy44

Hello everyone,
I need some help with this.
Our boiler is a glowworm balanced flu something or other. It is a large thing that sits on the floor. It has a very large square vent behind it.
13 years or so ago, it developed a fault: there was a crack/hole on the cast iron tank which sits right above the burners and as soon as the water got a bit hot, it would run down as steam into the flames and put them out. So it was impossible to use it.
At that time, 13 years ago, we called a plumber, he said it was beyond repair, and he replaced it with an exact same model.
Fast forward to now.
A couple of months ago, on occasion, the boiler switched off, and on inspection the flames and pilot were off. I restarted it, and forgot about it.
Today I decided to give it a good clean, second time in 13 years. I pulled out the burners, removed all debris that has accumulated at the far back from the outside vent (lots of twigs and pines needles and other junk), and used a large wire brush to brush down both burners and the iron tank above. There was lots of white stuff falling down.
As I was working on it, I noticed that there was this white stuff coming out from the vertical connections on the main tank. Perhaps it is not called tank, it is the huge cast iron container where the water circulates in.
It seems this huge container is not a single piece but it is put together by vertically connected pieces, you can see the vertical slots in between. There is evidence of scale (white) leaking out from top to bottom from those vertical slots, all of them.
After the cleanup I have now discovered that with brushing the underneath of this huge tank, I must have disturbed something and opened a leak, because the flames now go off all the time. In addition while it is working, I placed my hand over the exhaust and there is quite hot and very very humid air coming out. Clear evidence there is a leak in the burner area.

I am quite annoyed that this glowworm is going the way of its brother, 13 years ago, and wanted your advice:

1) Is it repairable?
2) Is it worth buying another gloworm if it would last another 10 or more years?
3) Are these glowworms efficient? It does not have a fan to circulate the air and I presume that the external drafts/winds might affect the efficiency?
4) any other advice?

sadly it seems like you are going to need to replace the boiler, get a gas safe engineer to give it a look at preferably through recommendation then get a quote for a new boiler

Thanks for the reply. As an interim solution, I have turned the boiler's dial to the MIN so that it does not overheat the water, and it seems it is working for 2-3 hours now, hopefully it will last a few days until we can replace it.

And tomorrow I am planning to call Gloworm and give them a piece of my mind, the way they have built this so that it leaks from its gaskets.

Don't get a glowworm unless on a tight budget there not made like they used to be.

was it worth an hour plus of your time And a now broken boiler to save £60 instead of calling a professional?

It would surely have been the same out come only the engineer would have been blamed for the leak, it just goes to show that anything can happen and not always the engineers fault

Yeah true but the engineer might have looked at the state of the heat exchanger and advised against cleaning part of it

Just to say that it has been over 12 hours now and the boiler works. Even though set to the MIN, all the radiators in the house are very hot and we have HW too.

The cast iron heat exchanger is made out of pieces put together side by side, and it is almost inviting a leak from the connections between those pieces. I am wondering, had the bottom been made out of a single piece of cast iron, or stainless steel, it would last forever. Am I right?

So your complaining that your 13 year old boiler that I'm guessing has never had a professional service done in that time has failed! I'm not surprised! If I was you instead of turning the stat down I would turn it off! Don't use it until it is checked or replaced. As you have had the burner out you will have probably touched burner seals so may have fumes now entering your property.

Now for your questions

1) No new boiler time. It may have been repairable a few years ago but it would of cost more to repair than replace.

2) No Glowworm are terrible boilers (or at least I think so) you will be lucky to get 10 years out of them.

3) No an old balanced flue is not efficient and you can no longer get them. All new boilers will have a fan on them and are more efficient.

4) Get an engineer in to give you an estimate on a new boiler. Put your details in the looking for a plumber section on here and somebody may be able to help you.

I have arranged for BG to come over and give me a quote, they say 400 scrappage offer. Is there a catch there somewhere?

I have arranged for BG to come over and give me a quote, they say 400 scrappage offer. Is there a catch there somewhere?

Yeah they will quote massively high to start off with. You are better off getting someone local, they will more than likely be cheaper and you won't have someone who's money and time have been cut so they want to get the job done as quick as possible.

Thanks for the reply. As an interim solution, I have turned the boiler's dial to the MIN so that it does not overheat the water, and it seems it is working for 2-3 hours now, hopefully it will last a few days until we can replace it.

And tomorrow I am planning to call Gloworm and give them a piece of my mind, the way they have built this so that it leaks from its gaskets.

13 years and you want to complain ? and only 2 services this time by yourself - stripping a boiler is only for gas registered engineers .you will be lucky if a modern boiler lasts more than 7 years

First of all I would like to say thanks for all the help here.
As an additional consideration, should the plumber be provided by the company who manufacture the boiler so as to make sure he has training on it, rather than doing it first time?

First of all I would like to say thanks for all the help here.
As an additional consideration, should the plumber be provided by the company who manufacture the boiler so as to make sure he has training on it, rather than doing it first time?

A decent installer can install anything, saying that I recommend what I like and trust so listen to what they recommend. If you ask 10 different engineers you will get several different answers though.

Agreed loads of engineers will recommend their favourite boiler that they will know inside out. They will be the better people to get on the job as most will be relatively cheaper and will take far mor pride in the finished article

i just love the way the customer goes from diy the cheapest option directly to BG the most exspensive option
chances are BG will charge you 2k labour to change the boiler and pay the fitter 150 quid. go to a local company

I have asked a couple of local people for quotes. The reason for considering BG is their "£400 cashback" offer. I had no idea that BG are considered expensive.

if you added a location you may find some one here willing to quote
just out of interest how many pipes go to the tappings on the boiler if its 4 then you are going to need to change to fully pumped system

You illegally service your own boiler. Probably best not spread this round too much? AY? Nice work. After all diy gas installation is covered on your buildings and contents. Not sure it extends to the houses either side. Gas explosion small leak = very possible

Also after the new boiler has been fitted I would get it serviced every year. They are not like the old boilers that can carry on for years with no maintenance. They need checking regularly to ensure the gas air mixture is set up and they are still running efficiently. If they aren't looked after they don't last long or cost £££ in avoidable repairs like a £15 burner gasket not being replaced leading to a melted boiler.

andy 44 where do you live maybe our menmbers could help you, if you get a quote from BG make sure you have a chair handy when you open it

Also after the new boiler has been fitted I would get it serviced every year. They are not like the old boilers that can carry on for years with no maintenance. They need checking regularly to ensure the gas air mixture is set up and they are still running efficiently. If they aren't looked after they don't last long or cost £££ in avoidable repairs like a £15 burner gasket not being replaced leading to a melted boiler.
20141011_134108.jpg

You mean like this burner i went to today hope the pics come on first time with pics

View attachment 19904

You mean like this burner i went to today hope the pics come on first time with pics[/QUOTE
exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it. Had 3 gworms do that now. Worst one was the customer kept resetting it for months so by the time I got there everything had melted. New wiring harness combustion chamber, the lot.

View attachment 19904

You mean like this burner i went to today hope the pics come on first time with pics[/QUOTE
exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it. Had 3 gworms do that now. Worst one was the customer kept resetting it for months so by the time I got there everything had melted. New wiring harness combustion chamber, the lot.
Everything melted inside cracked and distorted burner insulation melted cables all melted how farb do you go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
C
In a word, no. Needs a gas safe bod.
Replies
Views
S
The fusible wheel head valves are notorious...
Replies
Views
Back