Glowworm compact 80e boiler pressure keeps rising. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Glowworm compact 80e boiler pressure keeps rising. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DHearne

Hoping someone can help!

I have the Glowworm compact 80e boiler and the pressure keeps rising to 3 bar and then the relief valve kicks in, here is what we have tested to rule out so far.

The filling supply/loop is ok, have taken and left this off to check there is no small leak letting water in.

Expansion vessel was checked by a plumber, no leaks, water coming out, all seems fine and was pumped up/recharged.

Basically, we fitted a new radiator, and the problem came about after this and a prolonged period of the heating not being in use. When we fitted the new rad and had to let some water into the system to get the pressure back up, (the wife) didn't shut the valve off completely and the pressure went up to 3 bar before i noticed and caused a tiny leak in the new radiator. I let some pressure out, leak stopped, figured all was good.

Then a few days later noticed the pressure went back up to 3 bar, so i let some pressure out again, and it was fine for a few days, then pressure went back up.

I figured out it was when the boiler kicked off, or was turned off over night was when the pressure seemed to be going back up, and now it does it right away every night.

When my plumber friend came round and checked the expansion vessel and recharged, it was fine again for a couple days, then same issue again after turning down/off over night, pressure back up to 3 bar.

The hot water has also seemed temperamental whilst this has been happening, shower/taps taking longer to heat the water than usual?

does it sound like the plate heat exchanger? or is there anything from putting the new radiator on it could be? we checked all the pipe work for leaks and it seems ok, it all seems to have started from that initial mistake of leaving the filling loop open!

to check if it the plate heat exchanger is the issue, do i just turn off the cold water in supply to the boiler and then see if the pressure rises once i have let some out? or do i turn off the mains water supply which is near the boiler and not use any water to check?

would i leave the heating/boiler off as well when doing this, and not use any hot water??

Just want to be sure so that i don't waste my friends time, and my money in unneeded parts!

Ask your friend to join and prove his credentials. Otherwise.......

We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers, cookers or ANY gas appliances for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location - [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a PM (Private Message) with your gsr details to either Gas man - http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/users/8668/ or Redsaw - http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/users/2718/ who will check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Providing gas-related advice to anybody who should not be touching gas and cannot prove their competence is unacceptable. We will take whatever action we deem appropriate to prevent such advice being given

Thank you.

UKPF TA's, Mods and Admin teams.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/ce...ed-advice.html (notice gas safety related advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You might have a EV (expansion vessel)...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable...
Replies
Views
If its going to anti cycle then its not the...
Replies
Views
It is an 'all in one' toilet with a macerator...
Replies
Views
Back