Going self employed questions | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Going self employed questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rippy

Alright folks. Been in the same firm this last 8 years and found out today that they are looking us to go self employed due to work shortage.

What way would I go about being self employed per say..

Is there a website I can get info on etc to help me?

any feedback/help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ryan

So they want you to still work for them but on a sub contract basis.
it depends if you want to do that if they ain't got work you have to find it elsewhere.

You need to inform HMRC, they will then give you a UTR (unique taxpayers reference) number. Its pretty much down to you to sort out your tax. So keep hold of any invoices you give out and you receive for items purchased.

Are you planning to do your own thing or carry on subbing to the firm you are with?

If you volunteer to leave and rejoin as a subby they can say oh sorry we've no work on. If you refuse to volunteer and they don't have work after eight years they will have to pay you redundancy. Same result for you self employed but with ££££ in your pocket.
Askin you to subby is not the action of a prosperous business they are trying to get you to release them from a redundancy payout obligation. Tell em to whistle:)

if they want to make your position redundant then you must be made redundant, dont leave as you will be out of pocket. If this happends and they then take you back on as a subby they will be breaking the law.

my old company tried to do this with a number of its work force but was forced to change its mind when it was pointed out to them by a trade union that they were breaking the law.

get your redundency to pay for a van etc.........

Thanks for all the quick replys people. I'm glad I came on here and asked as our office staff wouldn't tell us anything on the matter. Ill be in tomorrow for a meeting with the boss and ill ask all the important questions.

Thanks again :D

Unless they are giving you a written contract guaranteeing you work as a subby for a fixed term which you are happy with then do t volunteer for it. If you do decline be prepared to cover your back for the foreseeable....bag up and label any scrap for any rip outs. Photograph before and afters of any work you do as they will be looking for excuses to sack you. Don't pocket so much as an elbow and so on. Document all discussions with them and take a dictaphone to meetings. All will protect you should you need an employment tribunal.....

Some good advise above, I'd be keeping an eye open for pastured new regardless I think, doesn't sound like a good situation.

Yea it's not good. I was over in England working last year for 6 months with the same firm whilst work picked up back home but it hasn't.

Going self employed (after being made redundant) seems like the best option at the moment

I was made redundant in Nov 2012 and worked for my firm for 7 years. Got about £5000 redundancy from National Insurance which takes the pressure off of starting up. Did start my own GSR the year previous and started to build customer base on the quiet from my firm though so had a bit of a head start. Do find working for yourself, a lot less work for more money....so long as you can source the work. My advice, wait for the lay off. If you have the funds, try to start up anyway on the quiet.

Wait to be made redundant then go to job centre and sign on. You will get money on top of dole to help you go self employed. Ask about the new enterprise allowance. I lost my job on friday so im in process of start up now and the job centre have advised to hold off going official.

If you have the funds, try to start up anyway on the quiet.

You're on dodgy ground with this one. If you're going to start working on the side you need to register as self employed with the tax office to declare any extra income. You also need to take out public liability insurance in case anything goes wrong. Regardless of whether you do it legit with the tax and liability thing you than have the problem of what if the employer finds out. There can be clauses in the employment contract that don't allow you to compete with your employer and if you're found out you are guilty of gross misconduct and out on your ear.

A couple of guys on the firm I worked for were goonered for doing foreigners at the weekends.

take redundancy then go back self employed. but good luck. in 2011 i had this before with last mob i worked for, tried to make us go self employed, need to get out own vans + the gear. big outlay then all of a sudden after 4 yrs service on a thursday afternoon the doors were shut... no redundancy or anything :( never signed a contract when i first started so dont know what to do or done anything.
let us know how u got on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The NVQ only segment of your overall...
Replies
Views
done, but let's assume you didn't see that...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Train fare to Wales £95. Lost days of work...
Replies
Views
Will do. Many Thanks for your help
Replies
Views
Back