Gorgeous and pricey but... | Plumbing Tools | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gorgeous and pricey but... in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

gmartine

Esteemed
Gas Engineer
Nah, agree with Simon, plus I don’t need them, already have Knipex flats, cobra and alligator, and x2 adjustables and that’s just in my main toolbox. Still have my “footys” as well for the “just in case” 🤣 also my other adjustables purchased. Ive spent quite a bit on tools over the years

What a coincidence, I was looking at these a few days ago and wondered if they had one which would do both 15mm/22mm compression nuts.

I measured a 15mm nut and it came out at 23mm, 22mm nut measured 31mm.

The XXL Joker is listed as 24mm-32mm, so I was disappointed that it was a mm out.

I emailed Wera to confirm.

They replied yesterday with this:

“Hi

Thank you for your email and apologies that it has taken a few days to respond. I wanted to check with my colleagues in Germany so I don’t give you incorrect information!!!

As a standard, a 15mm compression nut would require a 24mm spanner, and 22mm compression nut a 32mm spanner.
We are aware that compression nuts for 15mm pipe can vary slightly these days with so many different manufacturers out there. The XXL should work for these and all sizes in between.
A 22mm compression fitting can also vary slightly as far as 30mm, but this is also catered for with the 6004’s self-setting feature.

Hopefully this puts your mind at rest that the XXL Joker will do the job you need.”

Anyways, that’s all, thought it may be of interest to some.

Just an update to this. So I got the xxl version so they’d fit 15mm/22mm.

Not overly impressed. Spend most of the time in the tool box. The handle is too long for most jobs (I knew the length before hand).

I wouldn’t bother.

Would it help if one cut the handle down with an angle grinder? I've done this before with other tools that were too large.

Would it help if one cut the handle down with an angle grinder? I've done this before with other tools that were too large.
I did plan on doing this but have never got round to it.

May help, but wish the jaws opened another couple of mm, as not all 22mm nuts are the same. A couple of times, the jaws didn’t fit and it prevent the ratcheting action.

What a coincidence, I was looking at these a few days ago and wondered if they had one which would do both 15mm/22mm compression nuts.

I measured a 15mm nut and it came out at 23mm, 22mm nut measured 31mm.

The XXL Joker is listed as 24mm-32mm, so I was disappointed that it was a mm out.

I emailed Wera to confirm.

They replied yesterday with this:

“Hi

Thank you for your email and apologies that it has taken a few days to respond. I wanted to check with my colleagues in Germany so I don’t give you incorrect information!!!

As a standard, a 15mm compression nut would require a 24mm spanner, and 22mm compression nut a 32mm spanner.
We are aware that compression nuts for 15mm pipe can vary slightly these days with so many different manufacturers out there. The XXL should work for these and all sizes in between.
A 22mm compression fitting can also vary slightly as far as 30mm, but this is also catered for with the 6004’s self-setting feature.

Hopefully this puts your mind at rest that the XXL Joker will do the job you need.”

Anyways, that’s all, thought it may be of interest to some.

Exactly what i came here for. Real review of the fitment for 15 and 22 nuts. I measured a 15mm fitting nut as 23/24mm and 22 nut as 29/30mm and questioned if an xl or xxl tool would be best for predominantly 15mm fitting. Seems its right on the limit for both and would be pretty expensive tool to replace an adjustable that doesn't fit or will be a sloppy fit some of the time.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I am glad that you got rid of the smell :)
Replies
Views
Hmmmm I have my doubts on anything...
Replies
Views
L
  • Question
Just to show my age that's a yorkshire 508...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Recently I noticed the houses plumbing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Adam, I’d be asking to speak to a senior...
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
Back