Grant Vortex 21e Hot water but No CH | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Grant Vortex 21e Hot water but No CH in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

markadams

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got a Grant boiler which recently ran out of oil, manage to bleed oil line, it now fires fine when hot tap is opened but will not fire when in CH mode.

The Demand an CH Pump light are on but not the burner or flow.

It has two Pumps and no Diverter valve, I can't understand why it refuses to light as it works perfect in How Water mode.

That was my conclusion about the oil, it has a built in Manual programmer and the room stat is jumpered on permanent.

I have tried it with the Hot water switch to off and CH to constant but no go.

Hi Tamz,

I suspected the CH Pump, I checked that It has voltage, which it does, I undone the spindle screw and you can hear the spindle turning and water is pumped out of the screw.

It has no external controls, and does not appear air locked.

Yes. Take the head off the one that is in and you will see the spindle has most likely sheared off the motor.
Had about 4 or 5 of them with grants.
Wilo (euramo in a past life )were never a great pump but they are cheap.

How long have you given it? You know they prioritise the HW first so regardless of controls the heating wont come on until the HW store stat is satisfied. If it has been running a while then the store stat could be knackered and not letting it click over.

Ah...hang on, you said the CH pump is running...so yes, as above, probably dud.

Bunker, Certainly been left long enough. All points to the pump, I suspected the pump but wanted it confirmed as I thought I was going to have to get a new one but if the 15-50 is suitable then I can try that.

Mark.

It is a 6m head pump that comes fitted.
Think of it this way. Do you need a 2 litre car to drive on the motorway. A one litre car will still do 70mph.
Pumps are sized and adjusted to suit the system. A 15 50 will do 95% of domestic systems no problem especially on a lump of cast iron.

The 6m pumps are supposed to be for the extra resistance in a condensing boiler (I always heard) and also in modern fancy radiators with restrictive waterways - like a lot of column rads. Or on long pipe runs or 8mm & 10mm microbore systems. Can make a massive difference on some systems especially larger houses & shows up in bad winter weather if your pump ain't getting the heat up to temperature in some of the rads.

Hi,

Well I swapped the pump and the boiler fired up in CH mode and ran for about 10 minutes then the demand light went out and it stopped.

It has no room stat (just a jumper wire) and it is in constant so programmer is by-passed. I switched off the power and back on then the demand light lit again, after about a minute it fired again and did the same thing.

I thought it was the programmer/room stat that controlled the Demand light, is that correct?

Mark.

Similar plumbing topics

Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have you have checked there is a live feed to...
Replies
Views
Hi.....I experienced same issue.........I...
Replies
Views
M
  • Question
Sounds like a typical symptom of a sticking...
Replies
Views
Back