Gravity Boiler Heating / Hot Water Query | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gravity Boiler Heating / Hot Water Query in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vandyalum

Hello -

I have a quick question. We have a Ideal Mexico gravity boiler. It's very old (not our choice - landlord's choice). We currently have the central heating completely turned off. However, whenever the hot water heating comes on, certain of the radiators are also heated to a very high temperature unless the radiators are turned off by their own valves.

My question is this: should the central heating be operating in this manner? If not, can it be fixed?

Thank you!

No it should not work like this, the landlord should have it put right.

Old systems will sometimes allow upstairs rads to get hot off of a gravity circulation when the hot water only is on. to be brutally honest I can't see a landlord doing anything about it.

as simon has said the upstairs rads are probably gravity feed with the hot water. Just turn the rads off. Its how it works.

The anti creep valve will be stuck open it needs replacing or if the LL is tight turn the rads off as said :)

If all the rads are getting hot as said there may be a summer valve in the airing cupboard on the heating circuit in the form of a gate valve. All you need to do is turn it off. But beware these valves are prone to leak when touched or worse don't turn at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old systems will sometimes allow upstairs rads to get hot off of a gravity circulation when the hot water only is on. to be brutally honest I can't see a landlord doing anything about it.

How brutally right you are Simon and I agree will all you say.

Tony

Remnants of a time gone bye, least we shall forget them, that's where I started my trade, gravity systems, no pumps, spark ignition, thermocouples, flue fans, PCB control boards, plumes, AAV, ABV haaaa and No Tinternet!!!:bigcry: two hammers squeeze the pipe off.

Sorry, I should've explained that my question is a bit more nuanced. Yes, the landlord is tight, but the landlord is also the military! They have indicated that they will condemn the boiler if it is not functioning as intended. The initial engineer who came out said that the boiler should *not* be heating the radiators if the CH is off but the water heater is on. However, the organization that is mandated to repair or replace works on military housing is saying that because the radiators are still functional (i.e., you can turn them off at the valves), they don't want to shell out to replace the boiler. Nonetheless, if the boiler is not functioning as intended - hence my question - they are obligated to do so (even if the radiators can be turned off at the valve).

The engineer that came out was talking out of his backside, probably not enough experience on older heating systems. Nothing wrong with boiler it's just the way your system works.

So although your question has still been answered the same, there is nothing in there to condemn your boiler.

If its the MOD then they are dead in the water, you are wasting energy unnecessarily, they need to do something about it, they are committed to saving energy, go at them in this front. win the battle and the war.

If its the MOD then they are dead in the water, you are wasting energy unnecessarily, they need to do something about it, they are committed to saving energy, go at them in this front. win the battle and the war.

Does the gravity system heating the radiators use extra energy, then if it weren't? I know that seems like a daft question but I didn't know if the radiator heating is just a by-product of the hot water heating (i.e., same amount of energy would be used even if only the water was heated), or something that is drawing extra gas - which we pay for.

All of the comments are accurate. But, why not WRITE to the landlord, explain that it is an issue to keep having to turn rads off manually. There may be an "anti-gravity" valve (a non return valve) fitted, which gets dirty and sticks, allowing the water to pass. Straightforward job to drain down and replace IF you have access. It is typically about head height on the flow pipe from the boiler to the upstairs rads. Alternatively, there may be a summer valve, but I have only seen them rarely, and if not, it is an easy job to fit one, normally. So, write to the landlord, and explain that having to frequently turn off individual rads is likely to cause, or bring to attention, leaking glands, an that repairing or fitting an AGV or SV could actually save some future call outs.

Does the gravity system heating the radiators use extra energy, then if it weren't? I know that seems like a daft question but I didn't know if the radiator heating is just a by-product of the hot water heating (i.e., same amount of energy would be used even if only the water was heated), or something that is drawing extra gas - which we pay for.

All I know is any uncontrolled unwanted heating is a waste of energy, end of....:37: and never the swine shall meet.

when the mod owned all its housing stock the maintenance used to be very good, at least it was in the RN but since my time its all been sold on and leased back and now you have a private company, all be it a very large one running the services housing, badly from what i've seen so its a different kettle of fish now. best way to get a new boiler is to smell gas everytime you use the boiler, things might happen then:) or write a nice letter to watchdog for their opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe the rad valve heads have broken off? so maybe you cant turn them off so the landlord will need to do some work?
maybe a hammer dropped on the valves and broke em?

things happen every day.

Are the hot radiators a symptom that ,the HW cylinder no longer needs any more heat ?
(More boiler controls/Human intervention required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Thanks to @ShaunCorbs and @cjg for the helpful...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Very informative...........thx🙄
Replies
Views
I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
Back