Gravity fed central heating | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gravity fed central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NigelRS

I have a 1970's built house with a standard hot water gravity fed system. Last year the boiler went and both the thermostate and transformer were replaced and it was working as normal.

However, 2 days ago, the hot water feed has stopped. When the timer comes on, the boiler kicks in and hot water is circulated to all of the radiators as per normal and that works fine in conjunction with the room/wall thermostate controller. However, no hot water comes out of the hot water tap.

If I then turn on the immersion tank to see if that makes a difference, it doesn't really. It was put on a hour and the water came out luke warm (for a short while) instead of room temperature (like it does from when the boiler is sending hot water up to heat the tank. Nothing happened or changed on the system to make this happen and as there are no pumps, valves or anything else like that; I am not sure what to elimiate next to find the solution.

Any suggestions?

sound like immersion heaters faulty anyway,in regards to your other fault ch tank ball valve may have stuck check the ch tank(small one) if no water in it thers your fault push the ball valve down it may re activate it if how ever the ch tank is full you may have a blocked coil on your cylinder

You have an air lock in the gravity circuit.

Btw an immersion will take over 2 hrs to raise the temp of a tank of water by 50º

Check the expansion/feed cistern. (the ball valve may be stuck) The first thing to be effected is normally gravity circuit to cylinder.

Thanks folks.

The small feeder/overflow tank was dry, the ballcock was stuck. Sorted this and, after a while of filtering through, the hot water is running.

There may well be an airlock which can be "boiled" out, however, the anti gravity valve (non return valve) is knackered, gotta locate and replace, it's a brass coloured broad fitting on the pipework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
Back