Gravity hot water not circulating. | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gravity hot water not circulating. in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

R

R1CKY

Got asked to look at boiler today as they had no hot water. It was an old Worcester Heatslave oil fired boiler with pumped heating and gravity hot water.

The flow was only getting hot about 6-7 inches above the boiler. The whole install is a mess, feed and vent are BOTH 15mm. The feed used to be tee'd in to the heating flow or return and the vent is still connected to the heating flow or return. The feed had been capped in the attic and is now tee'd into the primary flow. Also the primary and heating return are joined via a 15mm ballofix valve.

Here is where it gets confusing, the primary return is going to the top of the cylinder and flow to the bottom. Plus to make it more difficult, the entire upper floor is concrete, with the pipe buried in it!

My question is, will the incorrectly piped cylinder stop gravity circulation? The customer has only lived there for 3 weeks, so don't know if it has ever worked!

I mentioned converting it to fully pumped, but the vent is 15mm and there is a concrete floor between the cylinder on the first floor and the boiler on the ground floor!

Forgot to mention, I cracked a compression joint on the top connection to the cylinder, the lower pipe started getting warm. Went down to the boiler and the return was still cold and the flow was hot all the way to the ceiling. Plus the flow is on the left down by the boiler and the lower connection to the cylinder is connected to the left pipe coming out of the floor, it is unlikely anyone has crossed the 28mm pipes under the concrete.

Yeah, my first thought was an air lock, that's the reason I cracked it. The pipework rises from the boiler to the first floor, then has about a 4 metre horizontal run to the cylinder, I'm also thinking this is too much for gravity to work.

Similar plumbing topics

No need to move the vent only option if he...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You’re a genius, thank you! Held my thumb over...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That will be fine then no air problems 👍
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ya, they said the fact the anti-vibration...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Best you contact Daikin and see what they say...
Replies
Views
Back